• Register Today It's free!

Owners with WARN Manual Hubs

kvo

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT (SOHC)
When you converted the auto hubs to manual hubs did you use the conversion kit (#27997) or did you switch over to the conversion kit (#37207) as suggested in the tips page?

I used the conversion kit (#27997) that was suggested by WARN with the manual hubs but the outer locknut still comes loose. I have just replaced my right rotor and both bearings. All because the outer locknut came loose and got sand trapped in behind the grease seal.

I called to get the conversion kit suggested in the tips page (#37207 with three allen screws in the outer locknut) but WARN doesn't make that anymore. They said some people did not remove the three allen screws before loosening the outer locknut so it ended up striping the threads of spindle. Must be a liability issue!!!

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone could offer a suggestion on how to keep the outer locknut from loosening or point me to where I can get an old conversion kit with the three allen screws (#37207). My last resort is to take the existing outer locknuts to a machine shop and have them drilled three holes and set for three allen screws.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used the recommended conversion kit (without allen screws) and have had no probs. Did you torque the outer locknut to 150ft/lbs?

I sure did. I installed both sides at the same time and torqued it to 150 but for some reason, the right side came loose like that.

I just called Warn and sure enough they did cancel that part #. However, they still have 14 sets in stock. Kvo, I don't know why you couldn't get a set.

He stated the same reason as what Kvo said, people were forgetting to loosen the set screws!

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com

www.4x4central.com

Hey Rick,

I had a big hassle trying to get some last summer. The rep wouldn't even check it out for me. Who did you talk to at Warn? I NEED a set of those REALLY BAD! I am tired of having the nuts back off and I don't want to wreck anymore spindles. Can you e-mail me the phone number and name of the person you talked to?

------------------
Paul Gagnon
Calgary, Alberta
"No Brain, No Pain"
Dead Link Removed

Rick, if you would let me know who to contact at WARN about getting a set of the old type that would be great. I got an e-mail from a lady name Anne Snedecor, Senior Technical Customer Service Representative and she said they couldn't help me.

Thanks,
Khoa.

I called this number 1.800.543.9276 told him the part number I was interested in and he said they have 14 left and after that there are no more. I ordered a set through FLY-N-HI Offroad Centers yesterday (thought I would get a set for my new Dana 44 before they disappear). If my order goes through ok, I'll give you the contact info for FLY-N-HI so you can get some. I'm not sure if Warn sells direct from their factory.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com

www.4x4central.com

Rick, are you using the same type of hub with your 44? Shouldn't you be getting the premium hubs? I know that the premium ones bolt on better then the ones that are on our Explorers. At least I thought they did.

------------------
Ryan Penner
1992 Explorer Sport

OK here is the scoop. FLY-N-HI can get them. It is Warn part #37207. They want like $66.00 for the part and $5.00 to ship to their store. I don't know what it would cost to ship direct to their customer, it might be the same.

Call FLY-N-HI at 602-272-2433 and ask for Bill. Tell him I sent you.

Rick

------------------
Rick Horwitz
Editor
explorer@4x4central.com

www.4x4central.com

Rick et al - Latest update!!!

After seeing the message from Rick, I called WARN, spoke to Dan to confirm availability and then I went down to 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers to order the kit. When 4Wheel Parts Wholesalers people talked to Dan to order the kit, he double checked and said he was mistaken about the availablity of the old kit with the allen screws. He checked with the engineer and the stock room. They absolutely do not have any more of the old style #37207 with the three allen screws. All old kits were removed from circulation and destroyed per the engineer.

Rick - If you are able to get it from your supplier, congrats and enjoy. I'm resigned to having my outer locknuts tapped and set for three allen screws on each nut. It would probably cost less than $70 to get a kit from Fly-N-Hi center.

Rick -

Did you get the parts with the allen screws in the outer lock nuts???

Khoa.

OK so the Warn fix is out... Has anyone tried cleaning the treads up good and using the high torque locktight?

------------------
HIX
91 Sport w/ 33s
"Put the hammer down, she likes it rough!"

Rick -

So what's the word on the WARN #37207 kit that you purchased. Is it the one with the Allen screws on the outer nuts???

I talked to a couple racing shops around here and they want an arm and a leg to punch and set the allen screws, almost $100 per nut!!!!%@#*^@^%^@*%#

------------------
'91 4-DR EB
San Jose, CA
2.5" Rancho, RS 9000, 32" BFG AT KO

Back