Couple of random questions on Ex's........ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Couple of random questions on Ex's........

fcat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 V8 Limited
Why is there no clock in them!!! lol, the ideal place would have been the temp/compass readout, im gonna look round for a car LED clock and maybe modify the housing of the compass and temp thing as i never use it , anyone any ideas or seen anythign that might work ?

Re getting LPG fitted, just a few random thoughts as i know nothgin at all about it.

Approx how much is it to have fitted ?
Spare wheel tank or inside tank ?
Do i like switch it over or is everythgin automatic ?
If i have a full tank of LPG and a full tank of petrol does one just take over from the other when one empties out ?
Sorry if all or one of the above are odd questions but i really know nothgin at al about it.

Just been reading the LPG thread and someone mentioned they got a great instalation in Cheshire somewhere, anyone know where this was ?
cheers
si

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Both my 97 sport and my 02 xls have the clock on the stereo

For the LPG, the modules I've seen have a led readout that will show green "almost full to full" yellow "~half a tank" and red "almost empty", when it comes to red at some point it will start beeping telling you to switch over to gasoline, I haven't seen one that does it automatically;
as far as the price goes it will vary depending on the instalation, how stock you want it to look...

the earlier 2nd Gen had them on the dashboard.. mine does.. the later model 2nd gen did away in favour of a double din stereo.

Si

The LPG system i have (OMVL Dream XXI N) starts on petrol and switches automatically to LPG after the engine has warmed up. If at anytime he LPG runs out it will auto switch to petrol. The LPG tank 85litre (which due to safety regs) fills to 80% is fitted in the place of spare wheel. Installation cost was £1650inc. The LPG system must be serviced each year approx £120 so factor this into your costings.

If you are thinking of getting one fitted make sure the installer is LPG certified and it's a multipoint system that they install. Chances are the engine management will come on after install this is due to a lean fuel mix (error codes PO171 and PO174,which are easily cleared, but if not cleared will cause slightily higher fuel consumption)

Pound for pound I get the equivalent of 50mpg petro prices.

Insurance company and DVLA must be informed once the conversion is done

The LPG system i have (OMVL Dream XXI N) starts on petrol and switches automatically to LPG after the engine has warmed up. If at anytime he LPG runs out it will auto switch to petrol. The LPG tank 85litre (which due to safety regs) fills to 80% is fitted in the place of spare wheel. Installation cost was £1650inc. The LPG system must be serviced each year approx £120 so factor this into your costings.

If you are thinking of getting one fitted make sure the installer is LPG certified and it's a multipoint system that they install. Chances are the engine management will come on after install this is due to a lean fuel mix (error codes PO171 and PO174,which are easily cleared, but if not cleared will cause slightily higher fuel consumption)

Pound for pound I get the equivalent of 50mpg petro prices.

Insurance company and DVLA must be informed once the conversion is done

Excellent info, just what i wanted to know
cheers

Lpg in Cheshire P &T Autogas
Macclesfield good blokes, member of the LPG assocation
Only rich people run Explorers without LPG

Lpg in Cheshire P &T Autogas
Macclesfield good blokes, member of the LPG assocation
Only rich people run Explorers without LPG

Thanks for the info :)
will give them a call today
cheers

Re clock in the explorer

I changed the stereo for a Pioneer BT unit, which like most others has the option of having a clock display. Probably easier than swapping out the temp/compass unit.

It also has the benefit of USB connection to ipod (from rear into glovebox) with abilty to control the ipod from the head unit. Being bluetooth it connects to my phone and is the now important handsfree for the car, using the car speakers. So no missed calls when I'm driving as my tunes stop when a call is made.

Back