Couple questions about my new 2016 Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Couple questions about my new 2016 Sport

teookie

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Just got a new 2016 Sport, and noticed that there is an exhaust hanger right behind the rear differential with nothing attached to it. The exhaust runs right under it, but is not attached in any way. Is this normal? Can someone else check theirs and see if it's the same?

At the same time I noticed the vacant exhaust hanger, I noticed a (very) small amount of oil on the bottom of the diff cover. It looks like it would eventually drip, but so far no drips on my garage floor. Looks like it might be slowly running down from the fill plug. Should I worry about this? Is it normal for a new car to already have a faint trail of oil running down the back of the rear diff from the fill plug?

Last question: How does the AWD system work mechanically? Is there a clutch in the rear diff that disengages the rear axle when not needed? I assume the drive shaft coming off the transmission is always spinning. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer my questions. Just got this car for my wife and we both really like it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum teookie.:wavey:
As for the last question, check out the linked thread and that should answer all your questions.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306348
Have you tried wiping off the oil that is there and then checking again later to see if it is doing the same thing? I think that would be the easiest way to check if something is actually leaking.

Peter

Just finished spraying my Sport down at the wash bay and didn't notice any extra hangers.
No point looking for oil drips as my vehicle was treated with rust protection oil spray.

Just got a new 2016 Sport, and noticed that there is an exhaust hanger right behind the rear differential with nothing attached to it. The exhaust runs right under it, but is not attached in any way. Is this normal? Can someone else check theirs and see if it's the same?

I also noticed the "extra" unused exhaust hanger on my 2016 Platinum. My theory is that V6 EcoBoost-equipped 2016 Explorers (Sport and Platinum) don't use that hanger. V6 EcoBoost Explorers are equipped with a true dual-exhaust system, whereas the normally aspirated Explorers use a single pipe that splits into two at the rear of the vehicle. My guess is the "extra" hanger is installed on all Explorers, but is only used when the Explorer is equipped with a normally aspirated engine.

I looked through some photos of the underside of my Platinum, but I don't think the unused hanger is visible. FWIW, here's a link to my online photo album. I've added a brief description at the bottom of each photo so you know what you're looking at:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/9964408@N07/8V2f45

Welcome to the Forum teookie.:wavey:
As for the last question, check out the linked thread and that should answer all your questions.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306348
Have you tried wiping off the oil that is there and then checking again later to see if it is doing the same thing? I think that would be the easiest way to check if something is actually leaking.

Peter

Thanks for the link. I found a good description on the last page of that thread. Looks like it's open front and rear differentials with the rear axle coupled via a computer controlled clutch. Makes sense. Now I would sure like to find detailed descriptions of what the computer does different in each of the terrain modes. One person said it starts in second gear in snow mode, another said front and rear axles are locked together in mud mode, stuff like that.

I also noticed the "extra" unused exhaust hanger on my 2016 Platinum. My theory is that V6 EcoBoost-equipped 2016 Explorers (Sport and Platinum) don't use that hanger. V6 EcoBoost Explorers are equipped with a true dual-exhaust system, whereas the normally aspirated Explorers use a single pipe that splits into two at the rear of the vehicle. My guess is the "extra" hanger is installed on all Explorers, but is only used when the Explorer is equipped with a normally aspirated engine.

I looked through some photos of the underside of my Platinum, but I don't think the unused hanger is visible. FWIW, here's a link to my online photo album. I've added a brief description at the bottom of each photo so you know what you're looking at:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/9964408@N07/8V2f45

Those pictures are very helpful, and I can see the unused exhaust hanger in a couple of them. Thanks for posting! I sorta figured it was unused on the ecoboost models but wanted confirmation. Thanks!

Now one more question: is there a trick to getting the hitch cover off? I pulled on it as hard as I'm comfortable and it didn't budge.

Bottom of the cover is two plastic screw knobs. Turn them 90 degrees and pull down to release them, then grab the sides and pull. The top of the cover has 4 tabs that are snapped on.

Bottom of the cover is two plastic screw knobs. Turn them 90 degrees and pull down to release them, then grab the sides and pull. The top of the cover has 4 tabs that are snapped on.

Ahh that makes things a lot easier! The salesman at the dealership tried to show me how to do it but failed at it. I saw that it was going no where so I told him to stop. Thanks for that info.

P.S new member here, I've been browsing around and reading a lot on the stickys..... Just picked up a new 2016 Explorer Sport last week!

That is for the 11-15. The 16 doesn't have the turn knobs. As far as I know you supposed to pull until it comes out. I tried and didn't want to break it either. Especially in winter time....I want to access the hitch in case I need to pull someone but guess I won't be doing that. I can see the plastic breaking in the cold winter weather.

That is for the 11-15. The 16 doesn't have the turn knobs. As far as I know you supposed to pull until it comes out. I tried and didn't want to break it either. Especially in winter time....I want to access the hitch in case I need to pull someone but guess I won't be doing that. I can see the plastic breaking in the cold winter weather.

That will teach me to pay attention to the MY. My cover was very hard the first few times to get it to pop off. After that, it came out with little effort.

I am still waiting for someone with a 16 to do a video of how to take it off properly, lol. I seriously don't want to break it.

I am still waiting for someone with a 16 to do a video of how to take it off properly, lol. I seriously don't want to break it.
I haven't even been able to find a reference to it in the Manual.

Peter

I haven't even been able to find a reference to it in the Manual.

Peter

That's because they don't want to give away the secret of how to access the hitch, lol.

Or, is there even a hitch under there...lol

Or, is there even a hitch under there...lol

Thats funny cause I jacked mine up and checked to see if I could see how the cover came off. It is still a mystery.

Thats funny cause I jacked mine up and checked to see if I could see how the cover came off. It is still a mystery.

As a matter of fact, that's one thing that my sales guy didn't go over with me (during test drive and delivery).
Now I'll have to take a look and learn how to remove the cover (better be a hitch back there).

I broke part of my finger nail off trying to get the cover off. Plastic tabs on the cover snaps into the bumper on the bottom and looks like it more of the same tabs on the top over the cover. I'm not trying again til winter is over, I don't like how stressed the plastic cover seems to be.

Come on folks, two screw tabs on either side of the cover, twist 90 degrees and pull down. Starting to lose my faith in humanity here! ;) :salute:

Come on folks, two screw tabs on either side of the cover, twist 90 degrees and pull down. Starting to lose my faith in humanity here! ;) :salute:
You're assuming the design hasn't changed. See post 8.

Peter

AGAIN - The 2016 is NOT the same as the 11-15 for this. This issue pertains to the 2016

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming the design hasn't changed.

Peter

You know, you're right. I wouldn't put it past them to make a simple operation more complicated. :D :salute:

Back