2014 explorer sport rear turbo leak.. HELP!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 explorer sport rear turbo leak.. HELP!!!

Anthony210

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer sport
turbo has a few drops of oil underneath rear turbo.. also has leakage of oil on front passenger side of intercooler hose, just slight oil dripping … front turbo looks dry and normal, truck runs fine and smooth with power… I don’t see any smoke or noises coming from exhaust or turbo.…maybe the turbo is going bad or maybe it’s just seals going bad? ... help! Thanks guys

0B9D107D-694A-4B63-AF81-0553E47D8DEA.jpeg FB30E53A-4950-4B52-8689-1F237539BF77.jpeg BC1B6F9B-BBCC-4EB7-A3A2-BCB74BC087A0.jpeg 43F021C4-864C-4144-A4E7-F2F9EC2B8B85.jpeg 760D6B85-C12E-4BF2-87AD-D64C01F0A229.jpeg B5AF9944-C51E-4567-B66D-2764F0DA8822.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the oil return line. It could be leaking however I bet its leaking higher up and just seeping down. It will definitely start smelling once it drips onto the exhaust. If you can, jack the front up and get under the car so you can see the underside of the rear turbo where the housing clamps together. The seals usually go on these and then they leak into the exhaust.

Edit: I looked at your pictures better and that definitely looks like a leaking seal / housing. Spray some break cleaner in there and get it clean then see where it comes from. I would start thinking about replacing asap as OEM turbos are not easy to find all the time. I got Mahle turbos off Rockauto when mine went but it took a few weeks.

That is the oil return line. It could be leaking however I bet its leaking higher up and just seeping down. It will definitely start smelling once it drips onto the exhaust. If you can, jack the front up and get under the car so you can see the underside of the rear turbo where the housing clamps together. The seals usually go on these and then they leak into the exhaust.

Edit: I looked at your pictures better and that definitely looks like a leaking seal / housing. Spray some break cleaner in there and get it clean then see where it comes from. I would start thinking about replacing asap as OEM turbos are not easy to find all the time. I got Mahle turbos off Rockauto when mine went but it took a few weeks.
Ok I will do that.. cause I noticed inside the hose coming from the intercooler into the intake Manifold has a slight wetness of oil inside,but not enough to make it all the way into the manifold though. As of rightnow I don’t smell any oil burning . Truck runs normal.. however something ain’t right. Thanks for the tips !

Ok I will do that.. cause I noticed inside the hose coming from the intercooler into the intake Manifold has a slight wetness of oil inside,but not enough to make it all the way into the manifold though. As of rightnow I don’t smell any oil burning . Truck runs normal.. however something ain’t right. Thanks for the tips !
Welcome to the Forum Anthony. :wave:

Peter

The rubber intake hoses usually have a very thin oil coating - that's normal on the Ecoboost. A JLT catch can will keep the oil out of the intake. The factory design routed the PCV into the intake (to burn off)... The catch can sits between and filters it out.

Back