• Register Today It's free!

Cracked rear

Karl77

Reaction score
City, State
Elmer nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 sport trac
Recently purchased a 05 Sport trac , and realized when I got it home that the rear axle housing is cracked under neath , has a axle code 42 I believe that’s 4:10 what Can I swap it out with

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your axle code is "42", and the year of your vehicle is 05', then the only one you can use is one of the same model year and code, 05', with code "42".
Search "BARELY USED" auto parts, and you may have a salvage yard in your area that is in the network. They offer good used parts, and can search in the "Barely Used" network to help find the parts you need, and some "warranty/guarantee" on the parts (check on conditions first before buying). Unless you know all the "ins/outs" on interchanging parts, it is best to stick with your specific make/model/year of vehcal.

Cracked to what extent and where specifically is the crack? Is it leaking fluid? Were there any noises while you drove it? Can you post clear pictures of it?

03-05 sport trac axles are the same. 01-02 have drum brakes but are otherwise the same.

I have a 98 Explorer 4 door rear end under my ST, it's a D2 code which is the limited slip version of the 42. It is disc brake and works fine. Might be a cheaper more plentiful option.

I have a 98 Explorer 4 door rear end under my ST, it's a D2 code which is the limited slip version of the 42. It is disc brake and works fine. Might be a cheaper more plentiful option.

Which does work just fine but the sport trac runs a larger rear rotor than the 2nd gen rear rotor. Best bet would be to swap all the brake stuff over from the trac to the 2nd gen rear. That way in the future when you go to the parts store you can tell them what you have and not confuse them.

True, I just have to remember that but since I have a Explorer V8 in my ST it helps.

Back