• Register Today It's free!

Cranks but won't turn over

KJBekalowicz

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Started having problems and leaking fuel from the top of the tank. The fuel lines were rusted on the top of the fuel pump so i paid to have it replaced. However the other problem started back again today. It cranks but will not start. Sometimes when I put the key in the ingition the fuel pump will not turn on. Anythoughts?

I just had the fuel pump replaced on thursday and it worked fine on friday, but the problem came back today and the garage is closed until next tuesday with the holiday on monday. I am going to have them look at it obviously since I paid $491 for this problem o be fixed, but I can't go 3 days with no car. HELP

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could be various things like a fuel pump relay. Check the shrader valve on the fuel rail to see if there is pressure.. Just make sure you do it with eye protection

I would take a look at the fuel pump relay. It may be loose or going out.

Could be various things like a fuel pump relay. Check the shrader valve on the fuel rail to see if there is pressure.. Just make sure you do it with eye protection

can i get that at the dealer or auto parts store?

The problem continues... replaced the fuel pump relay and the spark plugs and wires a week ago or so... it started fine every day for 1 week... yesterday night it will start... fuel pump never kicks on... after several attempts I turn the ignition almost all the way so that the power is on and I just leave it there for 15 seconds.... next thing I know the fuel pump kicks on... truck starts... I just don't get it??? Help

The problem continues... replaced the fuel pump relay and the spark plugs and wires a week ago or so... it started fine every day for 1 week... yesterday night it will start... fuel pump never kicks on... after several attempts I turn the ignition almost all the way so that the power is on and I just leave it there for 15 seconds.... next thing I know the fuel pump kicks on... truck starts... I just don't get it??? Help

Has the truck ever had new battery cables?:usa:

What does that mean?

Put key in iginition, turn key, engine makes noise as if wanting to start but not getting fuel "rrrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrrrr. rrrrrrrrr"

is that a better description? :D

Has the truck ever had new battery cables?:usa:
No, but I did recently clean the terminals with a terminal cleaning brush and applied a generous amount of vasoline to protect them from corrossion... I noticed that the smaller red wire coming from the battery does have a tear in the outer plastic coating exposing some of the copper inside

did you change out the fuel filter?????

Check your injectors?

Put key in iginition, turn key, engine makes noise as if wanting to start but not getting fuel "rrrrrrrrrr, rrrrrrrrrrrr. rrrrrrrrr"

Not really, sorry. Does the motor crank ( turn over ) but not start?

No, but I did recently clean the terminals with a terminal cleaning brush and applied a generous amount of vasoline to protect them from corrossion... I noticed that the smaller red wire coming from the battery does have a tear in the outer plastic coating exposing some of the copper inside

Don't underestimate the possibility that the cables are bad...they corrode from the inside, and you can't see the problem. This is a very common problem for the Gen I's, well documented on this site, including posts by yours truly. I replaced mine over a year ago, fixed all kinds of weird electrical issues, including times where I would turn the key and nothing would happen...then later it would start like everything was OK.:usa:

They were confused because cranking and turning over are the exact same thing. Your trying to say that it IS cranking AND turning over, it's just not firing up, or starting. Of course you said that in your first post, just not in the title of the thread.

It cranks but will not start.

They were confused because cranking and turning over are the exact same thing. Your trying to say that it IS cranking AND turning over, it's just not firing up, or starting. Of course you said that in your first post, just not in the title of the thread.

Exactly. So most recently when it did not start, I put the key in, turned it until the lights came on, then I held it there for 15 to 20 seconds, and THEN the fuel pump kicked on and it started. That was Sunday. It has started every time since then. Its so sporatic. It will work fine for weeks and then out of no where not start???

NEver ending problem: when out this morning and turned key and nothing. The only sound was the what sounded like a relay or a switch click once each time I turned the key and nothing else. Lights are on, battery is only about 2 years old. I plan on taking it out of the vehicle and having it tested this evening. Could be dying, but I am thinking starter?

Sounds like you have issues with the starter/starter circuit.

Good luck ....

It sounds like a bad starter, I would pull it out and get it tested at Autozone. If it passes the test then you probably need to replace the positive battery cable. The early Explorers are prone to having the starter cable corrode internally to the point where there is too much resistance to run the starter. Maybe this link will help: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146784

It sounds like a bad starter, I would pull it out and get it tested at Autozone. If it passes the test then you probably need to replace the positive battery cable. The early Explorers are prone to having the starter cable corrode internally to the point where there is too much resistance to run the starter. Maybe this link will help: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146784

I am currently searching for a link showing the starter in my 1994 Ex... any assistance? And thanks for the input James

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait, so is the starter turning or not. From your original post the starter works fine. If the starter's not turning, than either it is the problem, or your battery cables are. Even when the cables look fine, they corrode from the inside out, and may not be. If you can test the resistance on them that will determine if they are OK.

As far as the fuel pump problem, that has to be the relay for it.

Back