Crazy Grinding/Vibration prob....

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
I have this problem. I have a grinding noise like a really bad bearing. It also vibrates significantly, most noticeable around 20 Mph. Although noticeable at all speeds. At first it seemed to be in the front. I took it in and the shop was convinced it was a bad axle or carrier bearing. Took it home dropped the diff and took the diff in. They tore it apart and said everything looks brand new. Now we are all confused so since it was apart they wanted to check out the inner CVs. Took those in, they are fine, even ran them on the balance machine and they were fine.

Got her back together and she still does it. Worse when engaged in 4x4...??? Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you checked the wheel bearings (front)?

Originally I ruled them out right away. One is only 2 months old the other is 8 or 10 months old. But has been beaten on! So the wife and I are going away for a couple days so I am going to drop it back off tomorrow. I talked to the guy and he is going to check out the outer bearings, and a few other things. I am confident they can find it, especially since we have narrowed down so much. I really wouldn't be surprised if it is the bearings. I just don't want to replace things until I know what the problem is.

hum about your inner axel bearings...? they are know to make some crazy sounds and it will carry right up the driveshaft.... and sound like its comming fromt the front... .

They tore the diff apart to se what it tooked like cause that is what we all thought it was. Nope. I'll let you know next week what they say.

cant tell just by taking the diff off..... they are actully located in the axel housin.... just a thought.... but they will also make like a reving vibration

I got something like that too. don't konw what it is. Sounds like a rattling exhaust or something. Its not my exhaust though. Probably my wheel bearings. Havn't repacked them... ever. I've had her for about two years now. I think I should repack the bearings, and if it doesn't solve the problem, thats o.k. because it can only do good to re-pack the bearings.

Andy

Back