• Register Today It's free!

Creaking/Popping Noise In Dash

LaminatorT

Reaction score
City, State
Ann Arbor, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer XLT
Just bought a new 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD in January (my first Ford car ever). Within about 2-3 months, started to hear a very obvious and very annoying creaking/popping noise in the dash when hitting even small bumps in the road and/or when making any kind of turn (big or small). Car has been at the dealership for about 30 days now and they still cannot figure out what is causing the problem even after tearing out the entire dash, undoing spot welds, and re-welding/re-painting the car. Very frustrated and starting to consider contacting a lemon law lawyer if the problem cannot be solved soon. Has anyone had this same problem and if so, how did the dealership correct the issue? Thanks in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have it too. Although you get used to it. I would like to know what's causing it too. Sounds like something is getting damaged to me which I'm always paranoid about.

Just bought a new 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD in January (my first Ford car ever). Within about 2-3 months, started to hear a very obvious and very annoying creaking/popping noise in the dash when hitting even small bumps in the road and/or when making any kind of turn (big or small). Car has been at the dealership for about 30 days now and they still cannot figure out what is causing the problem even after tearing out the entire dash, undoing spot welds, and re-welding/re-painting the car. Very frustrated and starting to consider contacting a lemon law lawyer if the problem cannot be solved soon. Has anyone had this same problem and if so, how did the dealership correct the issue? Thanks in advance for your help!
Welcome to the Forum LaminatorT.:wavey:
A good way to find out if other members have experienced an issue similar to yours is to use the Forum's 'Search' program before starting a new thread.
The 'Search' button is located near the upper right corner of the page close to the Welcome.... message. If you find a result, simply add your post to it. The thread will then be 'bumped' to the head of the line. In this case there are a couple of previous threads on this issue;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343945&highlight=dash

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324433&highlight=dash

There have also been posts on the glove box rattling. Two others have traced a groaning problem in the steering to a rubber boot under the dash where the steering shaft goes through the firewall.

This Forum has a bit of a learning curve but it's not as bad as getting to familiarize yourself with the Explorer's features. :)

Peter

Hi 1995E,

Have you taken your car to the dealer to have them troubleshoot the issue? If so, what was the result?

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, I reviewed those posts and my issues is completely different to anything being discussed since it's not a radio, glove box, or anything else being discussed in those threads.

Thanks.

I have a sound that sounds like some kind of sealant separating and it sounds like it's coming from the windshield edges. Does this sound familiar?

me 2

I have a sound that sounds like some kind of sealant separating and it sounds like it's coming from the windshield edges. Does this sound familiar?

I have this noise and it bugs the **** out of me, it sounds like something is vibrating but its not and it also sounds like a hollow hum. I can only hear it going over 60mph

Have you confirmed that the noise isn't coming from the cowl that runs along the bottom of the windshield? Others have had a problem with it vibrating and isolated it to the cowl by taping it down to see if the noise stops.

Peter

Just bought a new 2013 Explorer XLT 4WD in January (my first Ford car ever). Within about 2-3 months, started to hear a very obvious and very annoying creaking/popping noise in the dash when hitting even small bumps in the road and/or when making any kind of turn (big or small). Car has been at the dealership for about 30 days now and they still cannot figure out what is causing the problem...

I have it too. Although you get used to it. I would like to know what's causing it too. Sounds like something is getting damaged to me which I'm always paranoid about.

I have this noise and it bugs the **** out of me, it sounds like something is vibrating but its not and it also sounds like a hollow hum. I can only hear it going over 60mph

Hi LaminatorT, 1995E, foxtemple, and Rudsther2435.

I'd like to look into this concern for you. Could you please PM me your name, phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealer info? I'll see how I can help! :)

Ashley

Good news! Dealership was finally able to get a field service engineer out to take a look at the noise in our Explorer and found that it was coming from a poor weld in the cowl area of the vehicle. They re-welded the suspect spot weld and the noise went away.

Good news! Dealership was finally able to get a field service engineer out to take a look at the noise in our Explorer and found that it was coming from a poor weld in the cowl area of the vehicle. They re-welded the suspect spot weld and the noise went away.

Is it possible to give us the exact location of the bad weld? I am experiencing a very similar noise.

Is it possible to give us the exact location of the bad weld? I am experiencing a very similar noise.

They didn't show me the exact location of the weld but verbally they described it as the weld for the A-pillar to the body of the vehicle in the cowl area. The field service engineer for this region is taking this information and plans to propagate it to all other regions. Therefore, the fix details should be available to everyone soon.

This hum was fixed on my '12 Explorer aways back. I found the info regarding the cowl hum problem in post on this board and reported it to my dealer. They confirmed the info with Ford Engineering who directed them to replace the cowl.

Maybe the pop/clicking/etc. noise is not really coming from the dash area, but is being transferred through it....You may want to look at the fairly new TSB 13-5-14 concerning similar noises coming from the front halfshaft area.....I'd be talking with the Dealer about the possibility at least......best regards Plum

Just picked up my 2016 explorer from friendly ford in roselle, IL to fix the crackling/popping sound from the center console area. They had it for a week. They said the readjusted some things behind the center console. On the way home it still makes the noise. I guess back to the dealership.

Just picked up my 2016 explorer from friendly ford in roselle, IL to fix the crackling/popping sound from the center console area. They had it for a week. They said the readjusted some things behind the center console. On the way home it still makes the noise. I guess back to the dealership.
Supposedly my explorer is fixed. I will pick it up tomorrow. They replaced the a/c control panel where all the button are.

I've got a high pitched buzzing sound coming from my dash. It almost sounds electrical, but it's not. It's coming from the top of the dash bezel where it meets the radius on the top of the dash. Very annoying sound. As soon as I squeeze the two it goes away.

Back