Solved - Cruise control and ABS light not related | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Cruise control and ABS light not related

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Huskerbob

Reaction score
City, State
Concord, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
After a long period of time with an intermittent ABS light and a balky cruise control I think I have figured it out. The two are not related. The cruise control switch on the master cylinder failed and has been replaced 3 times now. The switches I'm getting from O'Reilly Auto Parts last about 6 months. They warranty replace them so no big deal.

The ABS light was an off and on deal which I thought was related to the cruise control problem but it turned out to be the sending unit on top of the rear differential. Not an easy fix but I got it done.

Jacked up the driver's side to let the suspension/axle drop as far as possible and then removed the spare tire. Reached up over and up under and got it loose. It is NOT a 10 mm like I have read some places but rather a 3/8" so double check if you do this. Wiggle the old one out and drop the new one in. Snug it up and off we go. The ABS light resets after several off/on sequences.

Now my vehicle is perfect!:D

I'd persue the cruise control issue. Usually when that many of the same component fails, there is something causing it to do so.

I'd persue the cruise control issue. Usually when that many of the same component fails, there is something causing it to do so.

The O'Reilly dude says they swap them out with great regularity. It's a switch that is normally closed and brake pressure opens it. Bad design and Ford knows it. Switch starts to stay open after x number of cycles.:eek: PITA but as long as they replace them it's a 5 minute job to change it so no biggie. Thanks for the reply.:D

Happen to have or remember what the Ford OEM part # was?

Back