cruise control and ABS light on

spoony02

Reaction score
City, State
new jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 xlt
all,

I have a 94 explorer 4.0l. The abs light is on and cruise control is not working. I've been reading that this may be due to the cruise control deactivation switc. Does anybody know if this truck has one? where it is located? could it be the problem? and are there any tricks to replacing it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see if your break lights are working. An open circuit from burned out or non working break lights can let a stray voltage going to the control modules for these systems will make them think you have your foot on the breaks.

Thanks Guys. I'm pretty sure my lights are working, but I'll double check them today. also, If the VSS is the sensor in the differential, I took this out and cleaned it yesterday., but it didn't help. I could replace it but I wanted to get some feedback first. anyway, as for this deactivation switch does a 94 have one on the master cylinder or is it the switch that is on the break pedal arm. any further help would be appreciated. thanks.

Update

Center brake light was out. I replaced this & now the ABS lite goes out on initial startup but immediately comes back on under accessleration. Can it be the VSS if the speedometer is working? Thanx - any help appreciated.

Brooklyn is right about checking for codes on the computer. Do a search for how to check the computer for codes in this forum. Basically its shorting two wires out under the hood and counting flashes of the check engine light in the dash. Ideally the Key On Engine Running (KOER) test to check the Break On Off (BOO) circuit to make sure it checks out.

The codes for the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) should also be shown here too.

thanks! I'll find a way to check the codes and update again.

update - I didn't read the codes cause I was unable to find someone with an odb1 scanner. But I did replace the speed sensor anyway, and the cruise seems to be working again. however the ABS light still comes on as soon as you reach about 25 mph. any other suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Back