Cruise control issue, Brake Light Switch pinout? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control issue, Brake Light Switch pinout?

abloy

Reaction score
City, State
NW Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
So, cruise control stopped working on my 2000 so I checked all the fuses, then I ran the cruise control diagnostic thing (TSB 06-08-05). I got two flashes at the end of it, meaning Brake Light switch (BPP/BOO).

So, I tried swapping a different (junkyard) brake light switch, but that didn't help. My brake lights work fine, though if it matters, I think my rear wiper blade isn't working.

Does anyone know the pinout of the brakelight switch? Its a 5 pin connector, and knowing what's supposed to be on each pin would help. If I knew which pin goes to the cruise control servo's pin #4, I could at least check to make sure that they're still connected.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not exactly a pinout but should help a bit:
wiring diagram that incluse the bpp/boo switch
attachment.php

If your 2000 is the same as my 98, it's the pressure switch on the back of the master cylinder thats at fault, not the brake light switch.

Based on the diagnostic test he did, 3 flashes would have indicated the pressure switch

Fixed it, thanks

Thanks Kriegen!!!: the diagram was perfect! With it, I could tell that the black wire, pin #1 on the BPP switch connector was supposed to be ground. I check it, got nothing, then cut the wiring harness tape and loom apart to follow the wire. About 6" away from the connector, the black wire was broken. 30 seconds to put in a butt splice, and the problem was cured.

For anyone else that has non-functioning cruise:

1. If the horn is out too, check the fuse under the hood.
2. Run the diagnostic test, and check for flashes. If 3 flashes, try jumpering the cruise deactivation switch at the master cylinder and rerunning the diagnostic. If you get 2 flashes, go to the BPP switch on the pedal: Black wire should be ground, light green/red should have continuity to pin #4 on the cruise servo.

Glad to hear you got it fixed. Wish mine was that easy, I get the immediate 5 flashes signifying that I need a new servo. Unfortunately, I need to save money and replace upper control arms, lower ball joints and tie rod ends so the less important cruise control fixing is going to be later on.

BUT.... as the original poster found out, the diagnostic only points to the issue, it usually doesn't say "you need a new thing". His was a wire, your "5 flash" is likely indicating an error related to the servo not that you actually need a new one. You should probably investigate it a bit before you throw your "tight money" at a part. As the OP found, your fix will likely be "free".

The "hint" from the tsb is "suspect circuitry OR module".

And the TSB also includes how to test the circuitry.

yes it does... so you are saying that you have "failed" the resistance check.... which is actually the only static test of the module that it presents.

haven't had a chance to do them yet. Definitely plan to though

Back