Cruise control problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control problems

Ko96Exploder

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0L
I have a 96 ford explorer with the 4.0 in it. When I bought it the cruise and the horn did not work. I recently fixed the horn by pulling it off and cleaning it from rust so it got a good ground. My cruise does not work at all and the switches on my steering wheel are weird and when I hit the on button it feels like i'm just pushing on something solid doesn't feel like a button at all. I've never got the cruise to set and i'm stumped on what it could be. I've checked fuses and I used a test light to check all the wires on each side of the steering wheel (for the switches) and had no power at any of them. Anyone have an idea?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey a couple things to try...check to see if you have continuity through the clock spring...check the brake redundant switch to see if it's stuck open...hope that helps

Hey a couple things to try...check to see if you have continuity through the clock spring...check the brake redundant switch to see if it's stuck open...hope that helps
How would I check the brake redundant switch? Sorry i'm not familiar with explorers this is my first time owning one.

That would be:

For safety reasons:
Cruise control deactivation switch leaking
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=393680

that swshawaii posted.

I just went through this. In my case the brake deactivation switch was leaking and shorted out. Have you had the CC recall done? It adds a fused jumper wire to the CC deactivation switch (on the master cylinder). It was done on the 95-01 Explorers to prevent a fire. Ford will still do this recall for free. Often having the recall done and replacing the switch gets the CC working again. I convinced Ford to change my switch for free too, but they are available on eBay for around $30 and are easy to change.

As far as you CC switches feeling solid and hard to push, that's just kind of how they are. There are tiny micro switches underneath the cover, so it doesn't take much to press the switch. With age the covers get even stiffer. Once the CC is working it requires very little pressure on the switch to set it. I don't really feel or hear the switches click. New switches are available and will feel much softer.

Hi all,

Is there a way to make cruise control to automatically switch on in m 96 XLT explorer when I start the engine?

It is just that the on switch is so fragile and I have gone through 3 Switches because of it.

Thanks heaps,

Jake

Back