• Register Today It's free!

Cruise Control Trouble Shooting

Reklaw

Reaction score
City, State
Glen Rock, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLS
Forgive me if I missed this in another thread but I didn't see anything posted.

Got my 3rd gen back in September. Cruise would work and then shut off on the drive home. Then just stopped working. Also, ABS light was on intermittently. So I had quickly scanned for codes and got P0581 and C1440. After doing some quick searches I figured that the cutoff switch on the master cylinder was bad. So after the tax return came in I purchased 2 new wheel hub/bearings because my were noisy as can be so I changed them out with the included ABS sensors and reset the codes and the ABS codes went away. I had already changed my brakes so when I drove by a ford dealer one day I stopped and bought the cutoff switch and replace it and my cruise was instantly working again. The cruise was worked perfectly for months. Now it has begun just cutting out or not coming on. I play with the gear selector, try pulling the brake pedal out and it seems to change but I don't have any good answers.

So my question is if anyone has good trouble shooting tips or steps for an intermittent cruise control.

Happened to me a while back. Check the connector for the break switch. There is a electronic pressure switch that is screwed on to the master cylinder. I replaced mine and the problem went away

Happened to me a while back. Check the connector for the break switch. There is a electronic pressure switch that is screwed on to the master cylinder. I replaced mine and the problem went away

I think it's either a connector on the brake pedal or its the gear selector switch. If you look at my original post you will see that I already replaced the pressure switch the screws onto the master cylinder.

There was a recall to the brake pressure switches to add an inline fuse due to the high amperage draw on some Ford Explorer models. It was a potential fire hazard. Your vehicle might be one of those models that unfortunately draw high amps damaging the brake pressure switch. What Ford has done on recalled models is add an inline fuse that will pop before the amp draw effects the switch or more importantly burn up the wire and possibly start a fire in your engine.

Back