Cruise control turns on but doesn't engage. ABS light is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cruise control turns on but doesn't engage. ABS light is on

khebe29

Reaction score
City, State
texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 4.0 explorer xlt
When I turn on the cruise the light comes on on the dash. The light turns off when I depress the brakes. I have read about changing the switch on the master cylinder but have not changed it. I believe it is recalled???
Do you think that the sensor for the ABS light would have an effect? I am wondering if the servo has malfunctioned. Is there a way to test it?

Any advise would be great.
Thanks

I think that it's normal for the cruise control to turn off if you hit the brakes. The RES button will turn it back on and it will 'resume' the speed that you had set. Any FORD dealer should be able to tell you if there's a recall for the master cylinder switch if you give them your VIN #.

Up north here in the rust belt, it's common to see ABS problems because of rust on the wheel sensors. The ABS light on my 04 Ex comes on from time to time and the cruise control sometimes refuses to work. Shutting the engine off and starting it again clears the ABS light and the cruise will start working again.

I was told that these problems can be diagnosed with a high-end OBDII scanner, but I haven't had this done.

Back