Custom center consoles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom center consoles?

grizzlyxjim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
Thinking of making a custom center console for the 99 mounty. I have a CB, a linear amp, a HAM radio and some other various things I want in my truck but have no real place for so I'm thinking a boxy design. If anyone could share their set ups or have feedback I'd love to see, to get some idea before I proceed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is in a first gen, but just to help give you an idea here it is...

It's built out of 1/2" MDF wrapped with foam and rubber backed canvas. The top is ABS plastic. It houses two USB charging ports, two 12v cig lighter ports, CB radio, switch panel, and two gauges. It also has a switched 12v distribution panel inside of it.
IMG_0253.JPG
IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0517.JPG
IMG_0906.JPG

I really like this. It looks great, have you heard of a custom replacement for the other center console?

That is a very nice setup. I want to do something similar, Will take the measurements, It seems like my mounty seats are oversized, they take up a lot of side space.

It's built out of 1/2" MDF wrapped with foam and rubber backed canvas. The top is ABS plastic. It houses two USB charging ports, two 12v cig lighter ports, CB radio, switch panel, and two gauges. It also has a switched 12v distribution panel inside of it.
View attachment 96235 View attachment 96236 View attachment 96237 View attachment 96238 View attachment 96239

I really like what you did here. Gave me idea's for mine when I get it up and running.

View attachment 96235 View attachment 96236 View attachment 96237 View attachment 96238 View attachment 96239

Have you had any issues with your cobra getting enough air? I've heard of a few overheating issues.
Also did you wire in a separate speaker for it or can the one on it be heard ok?
Really looks sharp tho.

Have you had any issues with your cobra getting enough air? I've heard of a few overheating issues.
Also did you wire in a separate speaker for it or can the one on it be heard ok?
Really looks sharp tho.

Nope haven't had any overheating issues. Seems to get plenty of air flow where its at.
Actually yes, I just recently added an auxiliary speaker for it. The one on the front of it is pretty lousy. During the summer on the highway I always had to choose between having the windows down and not being able to hear my CB or having the windows up and burning up. So I got a Cobra auxiliary speaker for it. Mounted it on the backside of the factory center console. Way easier to hear it now.

Back