Blaine122300

Elite Non explorer owner
Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Land Rover Disco
Custom by ME!
I really put my welding skills (and welder) to work today.
I built rock sliders for both sides (of course) but only got the passenger side on.
It looks sweet, and I got to test it out with my Hi Lift.
I got the front wheel off the ground, and no welds broke. It is really hard to penetrate that frame steel!!
Well, here are the pictures!
I used 2x2 by 1/8 wall tubing. the plates are 1/8" thick plate that are 4"x4"

Andy

I will take more if anyone wants to see more!

Attachments

• P1010133.JPG
    P1010133.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 626
  • P1010135.JPG
    P1010135.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 547
  • P1010136.JPG
    P1010136.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 563

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those sliders look sick, nice job. I see you have four holes drilled out of the frame mounting plates, was wondering did you end up welding these on to the frame or possibly bolting on? I think most people weld them on, and I can see a section in the first picture that makes it look like they are welded on, but I am curious. Thanks, Chris.

BMXplorer said:
Those sliders look sick, nice job. I see you have four holes drilled out of the frame mounting plates, was wondering did you end up welding these on to the frame or possibly bolting on? I think most people weld them on, and I can see a section in the first picture that makes it look like they are welded on, but I am curious. Thanks, Chris.
The steel store only had 4x4 plate with the holes drilled. I ended up welding them to the frame. That steel on the frame is some thick stuff!
Thanks for the compliment. I hope they hold up!!

Here are my pictures from today. I got the drivers side on. Definately can lift the front wheel off the ground.

Here ya go!!

Attachments

• P1010137.JPG
    P1010137.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 539
  • P1010138.JPG
    P1010138.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 517

Those look really good, Ive been planning on building some myself soon, but I wanted to do a bolt on set cause I read welding to the frame can weaken it and I wanted to be able to take them off or move them if i ever removed my body lift, so what was the reason you couldn't bolt them on?

also what kind of welder do you have and where did you buy it?

how much do you think that cost to make. i'm interested in making some and wondering also what the measurement for that are. those look just like the ones that i have in my head, although i'd like to try and make the slider tube out of flat stell to keep it a loer profile, not sure how feasible it is.

how do you think round tube would hold up?

Nick26 said:
Those look really good, Ive been planning on building some myself soon, but I wanted to do a bolt on set cause I read welding to the frame can weaken it and I wanted to be able to take them off or move them if i ever removed my body lift, so what was the reason you couldn't bolt them on?

also what kind of welder do you have and where did you buy it?
I feel welding them on is easier. The steel is really hard and plus on the drivers side, there is a piece of steel inside the channel to separate the fuel lines from the actual frame. So you would have to drill through 2 pieces of steel and move the fuel lines. Also you have to worry about the fuel tank. It is hard to get back there. Less headache with welding. The passenger side would be alright though.
Basically it just comes down to personal choice though. If you build em, you can do what ever you want!!
My welder I bought at Harbor freight for $150.
It's a Chicago Electric 90 Amp

Andy

Bigcheck1 said:
how much do you think that cost to make. i'm interested in making some and wondering also what the measurement for that are. those look just like the ones that i have in my head, although i'd like to try and make the slider tube out of flat stell to keep it a loer profile, not sure how feasible it is.

how do you think round tube would hold up?
As far as cost, about $50.00 worth of steel. The actual slider part is right at 6'. the arms, well, I kinda just played it by ear. I measured, and measured again. I think the rears were like 9" and the front like 14" or somewhre around there.
As far as low profile, the bottom of my sliders are level with the bottom of my frame, so You can't get much more low profile than that.
Round tubing works just as good as square. Cory at CRL customs sells some that are all round tubing.
Its all in what you like to work with I guess.

u ready to start taking orders?? if so how much, near future i'm very interested

JPA1982 said:
u ready to start taking orders?? if so how much, near future i'm very interested
It would be nice to sell these, seeing how much others sell em for. I do too much measuring and cutting as I go, so to do orders without seeing the vehicle would be very difficult. Thanks for the offer to buy a set though. Just doesn't seem feasable.
I guess if you wanted to drive your vehicle over to Tucson, I could hook ya up! Probably not worth the drive though.

Andy :chug:

Those look sweet. Truck looks bada$$ man. Later.

Josh

Nick26 said:
nice... i read in another thread that you bougth a starter welder, but what kind did you get and where did you end up getting it from?
See Post #7 above

Back