Custom steel rear bumper build. (started) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Custom steel rear bumper build. (started)

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
I've had the 1/4" steel plate 5'x10' sheets laying in my driveway for about five months now. Finally found some free time and good weather to make templates, borrow my neighbor's plasma cutter and cut up some metal to start building this thing. I also made templates and cut the steel to finish the front bumper as well.

I didn't get to take too many pictures today, too busy but I'll upload more tomorrow.

Here's a couple teaser pictures to start, the tow hitch and "bumper hitch crossmember are coming off for maximum ground clearence and the just look goofy on there now.

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

I have alot more fab work to do yet, there will be a tow hitch integrated into the bumper as well as l.e.d. lights and D-ring shackle recovery hooks. The main bumper crossmember (center section is 3/8" thick 4"x6" angle iron (same as used in the swing out tire carrier brackets).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

nice looks like i wont be long before i do a custom bumper. i went off road and snagged the front bumper and broke the plastic at the front left fender so now i need to figure out how i plan to cut weld and fabricate a bumper with only the front meshed grill part???

glad to see you moving forward with your bumpers makes us all want to go custom

Just now saw this thread (been a bit MIA lately). Watching.

I went into work today to use the Miller212 welder since my dinky welder at home isn't big enough to really burn through 3/8" steel. I welded the main crossmember of the bumper into place and started welding the side pieces together.

If photobucket would actually work I could upload pictures of my progress but it hasn't worked for the last three days so as soon as they get the site working I'll upload pictures.:mad::frustrate

I'm gonna get some more fabricating done tomorrow so I can hopefully get it all welded together onto the truck this week at work. Man I wish I had the money to buy a Miller212. The thing is a beast.

If photobucket would actually work I could upload pictures of my progress but it hasn't worked for the last three days so as soon as they get the site working I'll upload pictures.:mad::frustrate

Did yours convert to the new format? I had to change mine back to the old version to get it to work. Theres a little button close to the top on the right that says convert back to old style or something along those lines and it works again.

I tried that but it didn't work this morning, it's working now and I'm uploading alot of pictures so I'll post as soon as they're done.

Here's some picture's of the progress so far. My work schedule is really pushing back the build so I've kinda had to rush the build with the time I have to work with thus taking out some of the original design of the bumper.

IMG_1036.jpg

Well I got one picture posted then PB F'ed up again, I'll try to get it to work...

I would suggest letting the bumper stick out a little bit from the body on the sides. I built mine like that and it has saved the rear end of my truck many many times on the trail...including tail lights:D

Ok, let's try this again. I went back to the original site, hopefully it'll work.

Here's the two side pieces all welded together.

IMG_1039.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

The center section of the tow hich will be cut out and integrated into the center of the new bumper where the markings are.I'll cut a hole into the new bumper and have the hitch welded up inside to the bumper and the reinforcement I'm building for it.

IMG_1075.jpg

I had a pair of aluminum diamond plate mud flaps laying around so I made a license plate frame with some bendsfor the Pilot license plate l.e.d. light from AutoZone (this light is bright as hell) lights up the entire rearend of the truck and a good eight foot area on the ground around the back of the truck. I may have to get another one of these and mount it on the hood to light up the engine bay.

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1079.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

It'll be out from the body and I'm also adding tube steel around it as side sliders, they'll be continued into the rock slider I'm building and up onto the front bumper like the Aussie's do their Trail Rig's.

Not totally completed yet but the main body of the bumper is all welded up and painted. I still need to cut up the hitch and weld it in, cut up all the tube steel, brackets and weld them on. As well as add the l.e.d. lights and reflectors like the front bumper.

Here's the bumper welded onand ground down to the bare metal.

IMG_1160.jpg

I painted it this morning, last good day of weather until who know's when.

Here's the differences in the clearance between the stock bumper and the new steel bumper.

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

It's nowhere near done so I'll add update's as I go.

It's really coming together! I bet you're happy to have it installed on the truck finally.

Quick question. I ended up coming down on some rocks this past weekend and once again catching my trailer harness. S much for being protected by the hitch. Anyway have you given any thought as to where you are going to mount your in the new bumper?

The original harness has been long gone and replaced a couple of times over the years thanks to all of the road salt in the winter.

About two years ago I added a four foot section of trailer wiring and new connector to the truck so I can tuck the connector up behind the tailgate and into the bed so it stays out of the elements (I usually have a cap or my tonneau cover on but it stays away from the road salt even without them up in the bed).

I still need to add on the hitch to the bumper and step tubes aound the sides and back so I can climb up into the bed. Gotta find the time to fab up the step rails/ sliders and add the hitch. Kinda hard when I start work before the sun comes up and don't get don till well after it goes down. Getting held up by the weather too, I don't have a garage.

I like the step/slider idea. Didn't even think about having to get into the bed or something. Not being able to get it done right away just gives you more time to perfect your design :D

Yeah. I'm building everything as if I already have my SAS, SOA done so that when I do those things it'll already be built with that much lift in mind so I don't have to redesign and build it again.

I just got my welder back from my dad and im about to start the same project. I plan to build my swing out to hold 4 Jerry cans, so I can do long distance stuff. I'm going to be using some elements of yours as inspiration!

Cool, can't wait to see it done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back