• Register Today It's free!

CV Axle Not Properly Rotating

SUV_RIDER

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
Good afternoon, I've a 2003 Ford Explorer, V6, with 148.000 miles. My left front cv axle is hardly rotating while all four wheels are elevated. There is a loud noise at left front after leasing brake pedal to allow wheels to rotate with vehicle in drive. Cv shaft was replaced a year or so ago. Any idea what could cause the cv axle not to rotate in sync with the other three wheels? totally aggravated and upset. There is a humming noise as well while driving vehicle down the road at 30-50 mph or less. there is a vibration in steering wheel sometimes as well. thanks for any advice......have any of you experience this with your explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good afternoon, I've a 2003 Ford Explorer, V6, with 148.000 miles. My left front cv axle is hardly rotating while all four wheels are elevated. There is a loud noise at left front after leasing brake pedal to allow wheels to rotate with vehicle in drive. Cv shaft was replaced a year or so ago. Any idea what could cause the cv axle not to rotate in sync with the other three wheels? totally aggravated and upset. There is a humming noise as well while driving vehicle down the road at 30-50 mph or less. there is a vibration in steering wheel sometimes as well. thanks for any advice......have any of you experience this with your explorer?
@SUV_RIDER
Sure! Unless you have an All-Wheel-Drive, the slight difference in brakes drag from wheel to wheel causes them to rotate at different speeds, under the conditions you describe. Such running must be done with the vehicle in 4X4 HIGH set manually on the dashboard. 4X4 AUTO confuses the PCM since the wheels turn at different speeds. imp

It's easy to check and make sure none of the caliper mounting bolts have come loose to the point of making contact with moving parts of the wheel. Check the offending c/v joint by grabbing the shaft with your hand and try to move it, it should only have a slight amount of wiggle, but not sloppy, of course this is without out weight on the wheel. Turn the wheel/tire by hand and watch the joint for lots of wobble of disfigurement. With non-locking differentials, it is normal for one wheel to turn more than the other when in the air with no load on the tires, but there should not be noises.

^^yes. Check the 2 caliper mounting bolts, and also check the bolts which attach the caliper bracket to the spindle. 4 bolts to check on each side. Often they will loosen and cause issues you describe. Especially suspect of this if prior work has been performed in that area.

Is your 2003 a 2 or 4 door version?

In addition to the brake comments above, possible wheel bearing issue, can cause the humming noise, and or a clicking noise.

@SUV_RIDER
Sure! Unless you have an All-Wheel-Drive, the slight difference in brakes drag from wheel to wheel causes them to rotate at different speeds, under the conditions you describe. Such running must be done with the vehicle in 4X4 HIGH set manually on the dashboard. 4X4 AUTO confuses the PCM since the wheels turn at different speeds. imp

Thanks very much for sharing that information. The problem has been resolved. The axle had a bad cv joint that had just been replaced in September 2018 (purchased from Auto Zone). So it may have been a re-built axle that didn't hold up. Have a great day

In addition to the brake comments above, possible wheel bearing issue, can cause the humming noise, and or a clicking noise.

Thank you, I will ensure I keep listening to vehicle while driving it down the road to determine if the humming noise is still there. I went ahead and replaced the cv axle. it had a bad cv joint. take it easy

^^yes. Check the 2 caliper mounting bolts, and also check the bolts which attach the caliper bracket to the spindle. 4 bolts to check on each side. Often they will loosen and cause issues you describe. Especially suspect of this if prior work has been performed in that area.

Mine is a 4 door Eddie Bauer 4X4 V6
Thanks for responding

I checked the two caliper mounting bolts to see if they were sticking; they weren't. I re-lubricated them anyways. I also checked the brake hose to ensure if the fluid was not under pressure after releasing the brake bleeder screw to confirm that caliper hadn't locked up or is faulty.. The brake hose is fine. Also checked the brake caliper piston to see if it had seized. It wasn't seized up. Thanks. The problem was a bad cv axle. Glad it was still under warranty:)).

thanks for responding. caliper mounting bolts were checked. no problem noted. the cv joint was the issue. can't believe an axle wouldn't last a good year. I just replaced that thing in September of 2018. The noise is gone away now. thanks for sharing your knowledge. appreciate all of you. wonderful website

It's easy to check and make sure none of the caliper mounting bolts have come loose to the point of making contact with moving parts of the wheel. Check the offending c/v joint by grabbing the shaft with your hand and try to move it, it should only have a slight amount of wiggle, but not sloppy, of course this is without out weight on the wheel. Turn the wheel/tire by hand and watch the joint for lots of wobble of disfigurement. With non-locking differentials, it is normal for one wheel to turn more than the other when in the air with no load on the tires, but there should not be noises.

Back