d44 Outers Brake Q?

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
Im going to the junkyard this weekend to pickup the stuff for my d44 outers swap, following the parts used in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154177 question being do I need an adapter for the brakelines or what? Have never looked at those GM calipers so I dont know what it looks like, do I need to run new brake lines and put on a new fitting for that or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The banjo bolt on my 44 caliper is bigger then the one on the dana 35. I have heard alot of people have used the TTB extended brake lines on there dana 44s and not had a problem. I cant remember the exact size the bango bolt is on the dana 44.

I haven't done the brake lines yet. I like to buy over the counter rubber lines. And add extensions if needed. I have a Skyjacker 6" lift on my BII. I would like to move the hard line to the back of the spring bucket/shock mount and use a stock GM brake line that would be in stock most anywhere. But it could be left in the stock location and you could add a rubber extension brake line. Let me know what you end up doing. I'm going to try to get the brake lines done in the next week.

i already have 6" extended skyjacker SS braided lines on, question is if I will need to change them to make them work with the d44 GM calipers.

The GM's are different. I know of no way to make the 35 brake lines attach to the GM calipers. I did purchase new banjo bolts and I'll post that info tonight. I'll post the part number for the GM Brake line I'm going to try to use also.

My truck and parts are over at a friends garage and I'm going over today to work on it. So I'll have the info when I return this evening.

Banjo bolts are part #13938 from the "HELP" isle. My son used brake line part # BH79339 (BrakeBest) on his 74 Bronco disc conversion. That's what we are going to try to use. It is not long enough and we will need to buy some extension lines. Even with moving the hard lines to the rear of the spring bucket.

The brake line listed above measures at 20" and is about 6" too short. My son brought home an extension line that is 13" long. That's about twice what I need but it's the same one I used to make a longer line for my other Bronco II. Together they give me about a 33" brake line. BrakeBest part #BH73279 for the extension line.

Don't know if I'll use this or not. Have to see where the hard lines end up.

My son did pick up a new master cylinder. He said he went with one from a light duty 3/4 ton instead of a 1/2 ton. Said the internal piston is slightly bigger on the light duty 3/4 ton master cylinder. He also went by a salvage yard and picked up a part he need for this brake set up. I'll post part numbers when I get them.

We did some more test fitting tonight. If we install the brake line as intended on the caliper it sticks out the back and hits the shock on my Skyjacker extended radius arms when turning. We rotated it 90 degrees and pointed it straight up and it seems to work fine. With the 13" extension on it we can hook it to the stock location. Just need to drill the hole so it will go through the bracket. Then a little work to keep the line out of the coil spring. Should be on the road in a few weeks.

couldnt the hard lines be spliced together to avoid most of this?

I couldn't find a place with the shock off and the 20" brake line mounted facing backwards that would reach. But that might be different with the brake line mounted to the caliper facing up. Or a bracket could be made.

I'll try to get pic's on what I decided to do next week.

Back