• Register Today It's free!

dana 30 axle shaft question

ride4lyfe3632

Reaction score
City, State
assonet,ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer sas'ed
I am new to this forum so be easy on me please. My truck is a 1994 for explorer with a dana 30 front axle installed. I purchased the axle 2 years ago from a person online not knowing the truck it came out of. after 2 years i finally wiped out the front ujoints bad and removed the axles to replace. I went to autozone and got a pair of u joints for a 88 cherokee which is just a guess because i dont know what year cherokee it came out of. i attempted to install the u joints and they dont seem to fit. Yesterday i went and bought another spare dana 30 for parts and removed the axle shafts. they are different axle shafts then my other dana 30. it would be a great help if anyone could tell me the difference between the 2 shafts and what ujoints go to which shaft thank you. I am trying to find the ujoint for the shaft with no ujoint in it

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0057.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe there are two different u joints, and shafts for the Dana 30. abs and non abs. the abs i think have the bigger joints.whats wrong with the new joints you got? to small or to big?

the new joints i got are 2 big and cannot get the c clips in
the other thing is the new shafts i got look much smaller than my new shafts and look weaker the circumfrence is different

It's probably a 1310 but just run the BOM # through spicer.

If the u-joint is too small to fit in the shaft, you need u-joints for a later axle.

'95-'01 D30s use the larger u-joint (Spicer pt# 5-297X = 1.188" caps). '94 & down generally uses the smaller joint (Spicer pt# 5-260X = 1.062" caps).

I am new to this forum so be easy on me please. My truck is a 1994 for explorer with a dana 30 front axle installed. I purchased the axle 2 years ago from a person online not knowing the truck it came out of. after 2 years i finally wiped out the front ujoints bad and removed the axles to replace. I went to autozone and got a pair of u joints for a 88 cherokee which is just a guess because i dont know what year cherokee it came out of. i attempted to install the u joints and they dont seem to fit. Yesterday i went and bought another spare dana 30 for parts and removed the axle shafts. they are different axle shafts then my other dana 30. it would be a great help if anyone could tell me the difference between the 2 shafts and what ujoints go to which shaft thank you. I am trying to find the ujoint for the shaft with no ujoint in it

Spicer has a great U-joint lookup tool for IDing parts
Spicer Part Number Lookup page

I have a 93 explore sport I need to replace ball joints does anyone know if i need to get a camber/caster adjustment kit that I found on jegs. My explore has pretty bad negitive camber and i dont think that ball joints will fix all of it. Would apperiate the imput.

Back