• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44 carrier ?

-=DaemoN=-

Reaction score
City, State
The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
Rigless!
I found a HP dana 44 with 3.50 gear ratio and my questions is... would I need a different carrier if I replace the current gears to a lower(higher#) ratio? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dameon I have no clue about this, but if you go solid axle I would be interested in a couple of pieces of your salvaged skyjacker lift. Mainly the 6" coils( I'm pretty sure you wont be able to reuse these) and extended radius arms if you have them, otherwise the brackets.

Dannyboy- it's gonna be awhile till I put the axle in.
For the parts, I don't have the extended radius arms just the drop brackets.

I thought you already have 6" of lift?

no, you should not need a new carrier. i just put 4:56's in my early bronco with 44 front. it had 3:50's stock, and we used the same carrier.

Thanks for the info james T.

Umm I have a 4" lift with spacers, but am putting skyjacker brackets under it so I don't have to run bumpstops like I did with the trailmaster brackets. If I sell the kit it would be hard for someone to find just the radius drop brackets unless someone on the board had a set for sale(like you would) as well as I may buy 6" springs and run them with spacers maybe. Right now I plan on running 5.5-6" suspension lift off of the 4" lift point on my jacker brackets. This seems to hold alaignment well (better than when I didn't have the spacers, it was tooo / \ for my liking. PM XJ2Extreme or maybe I'll get him to speak up. I know he bought Dana 44s, shortened one side and is running 5.13 gears and he had no clue what ratio was in them when he bought it.

Most dana 44's have the carrier break at 3.93 so I would think you would need one for the 4 series gears. The carrier you have now is good only up to 3.93 unless you have a special type of carrier (never heard of one before)

That's what I thought Brian. I was looking for 4.56 gears and ran across the 3.93-up carriers and 3.93-down carriers. I guess, I'll have to make the guy installing the gears take a look at it. He's also getting the same '78 HP dana 44 put on his cherokee but with 4.88's.

well, i guess they make 4:56's for the 3 series carrier, maybe? i know for i fact i had 3:50's stock, and i know for a fact we used the same carrier (i helped with the install.) maybe they make 56's for both carriers. you know, thinner/thicker ring gear to help offset carrier size.

Back