• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

dana 44 gears/9 inch gears

I want to change gears in my dana 44 and 9 inch from 3.50 to 4.88 or 5.13 is there any thing i need to know other than ordering gears, some one told me i need a new carrier for the dana 44. any help would be great

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

redranger4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Salem CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ranger XLT
you will need a new carrier for the D44.

sn0border88

Master Apprentice
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Souderton, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
yup, thats it. Unless you get a full carrier locker for the 44.

Also, make sure you get install kits for both.

james t

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Texarkana AR/TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 SAS sport
And make sure you get gears for whatever 44 you have... high pinion and low pinion are different. :)

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
You can get "thick" gears so you don't have to buy a new carrier assuming you arent going with an arb or detroit.

Stic-o

Elite Movie Star
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake View Terrace, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT