• Register Today It's free!

Dana 44

KrazyK

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a dana 44 HD high pinion RC from a 79 f250 any thoughts on this axle good or bad like to hear it all in comparison to other dana 44s. This axle is planned to go on my 93X

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well it is leaf sprung, and has 8 bolt wheel patterns... You can match a d60 or 14 bolt rear to match the wheel pattern. I think it's a few inches wider than a standard d44 but i could be wrong on that.

Would I use the axle? yup, no reason not to, unless its in very bad condition.

Post some pics of it.

I will post some pics of it tommarow.........also I have found that warn does not make alloy shafts for it any suggestions.........

Check with Yukon gears. I bought a shaft for D30 and it's pretty stout and inexpensive.

AXLE SHAFTS.

There is no diff in shafts between H/D and the regular 1/2 ton shafts. The only real diff is the tube dia. on some and the knuckle and hubs/brakes. No width diff. that I know off. I am sure there are some exceptions. That is a damn good axle.

i was under the impression that these dana 44s or 3/4 ton

"or" above is supposed to be "are"

Originally posted by KrazyK
i was under the impression that these dana 44s are 3/4 ton

they are... add bigger calipers and 8 lug... whoop dee fawkin doo it's 3/4 ton.

still the same shafts and u-joints as half ton 44 ;)

Thank you DangerRanger.

I was nicely trying to say that.

Just to let you guys know the 79 f250 dana 44 is a little different acorrding to the guys at pirate4x4; the differential housing is also stronger

and it should have dual piston caliper's, 15" rim's wont fit unless you grind the hell out of the caliper and get some heavily offset rim's

My first axle was a 79 F-250 44. Bigger tubes, Dana 60 brakes. Hub is different & Spindle is bigger, they use a bigger bearing than the standard 44. Axle length for the inners is different than any other 44. Have to get blanks from Warn, cut and spline them or order Superiors at the length desired. The housing has way more webbing for strength. Good axle all in all, at least it doesn't have cast radius arm mounts like the 78-79 half ton junk. Oh, other plus is factory flat top on drivers side and plenty of knuckle meat on the passenger side for milling and drilling for the hi-steer arms.

But, still a 44, better than putting a 30 in it. I'd sell it and get a 60 and be done with it. :D

hey guys thanks for all the help but i got so more questions for ya.

1) Are there any advantages of running 8 bolt setup and also i have read you can switch this out by replacing the knuckle with the halfton version 5 bolt, rotos, hubs, spindles ......

2) So I can run any dana 44 shaft?

3) If i use a full spool does it replace the whole carrier and if use a mini spool it just replaces the spider gears?

sorry about the redundent questions he posted as i was posting mine but further info would be great

keep the knuckles, they are the only ford ones you can do hi-steer with.

I'm pretty sure you can just put 1/2ton ford spindles,rotors etc on the knuckles to get the 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern ;)

1) Are there any advantages of running 8 bolt setup
#1 hummer double beadlock's
#2 cheaper rubber cause you will need atleast a 16" rim bigger rim size = cheaper tire

3) If i use a full spool does it replace the whole carrier and if use a mini spool it just replaces the spider gears?
full spool replaces the whole carrier, mini spool just replaces the spider gear's.

does this diff have the huge hub's or just the little D44 hub's?

dont know i just have the housing

KrazyK >> any progress on this? I also have my eye on a f250 d44.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back