• Register Today It's free!

dana 44 help... PLEASE

351wExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
how do i know what cut i have on my axle... dana 44 out of a 78-79 bronco, also which splines are most common in that era, any help would be appreciated as i am lookin to regear soon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wow that easy huh... thanks robb

now this is a dumb question, but looking on ebay i am seeing a few 4 series posi-trac carries for d44 rear ends.. these wouldnt work up front would they?

Nope.

are you sure because now that i look and think about it, it appears that the carrier, is bi-rotational, i mean reverse or standard i dont think it would matter because you could/would bolt a new ring gear to it, obviosly a reverse rotation in this application

i guess as long as the spline count is the same. Maybee one of axle gurus could step in on this one(robb). Wish i could think of someone. :rolleyes:

The carrier never matters, only the gears. Its the same carrier no matter if its low pinion or high pinion.

as long as its the same spline count right?

technically it will work just like what jamest said

is it helix gear driven posi unit? if it is then you definatly want to stay away from a unit designed for standard rotation.

why?

because the way those things work... In FORWARD motion the helix gears use (or force themselves to) the carrier shell to slip/lock. In REVERSE motion the helix gears force upon the side gears to slip/lock, which makes it notably weaker. That also explains why you can tear up a (rear) posi unit breaking the tires loose in REVERSE. Putting this unit in a front axle bascially puts it in REVERSE motion all the time...

So yes it will work, but depending on what kind of unit it is you might just be installing a time-bomb, ready to explode and take your front axle with it.

Back