• Register Today It's free!

Dash question

KaidoAE86

Reaction score
City, State
Springfield,Mo (currently in Conway)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Sport 2dr
Ive been searching on and off for a couple days trying to see if anyone posted this before, with no luck.

Ive had this idea for a little while now and wondered if it was possible without months of custom fabrications. i want to try and put a Mustang dash in my 1st gen. which one depends on whether i so a 2nd gen body conversion. my two thoughts were either a Foxbody (88-93) dash or the SN95/New Edge dash (94-04). ive owned all three of those body style mustangs at some point in time and love the way the dashboards are set up. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.

EDIT: i found a thread about the rest of the interior swap from 2nd gen to 1st, but all it mentioned was the firewall and dash were different from the 2nd explorer, not sure if that means my idea is dead in the water or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can't say whether it's a big deal or not.

I know that there is a great swap thread for a Fox Mustang, which had an SN95 dash installed. Those are evidently similar in width, and with work the later dash can go in the Fox bodies. That was a yellow mid 80's Mustang I believe.

I do have an old 91 Explorer dash if you need any odd parts from it, a picture etc. It's been outside, so the vinyl etc is not very good. I was planning to strip the wiring from it, but never did it. Good luck,

I can't say whether it's a big deal or not.

I know that there is a great swap thread for a Fox Mustang, which had an SN95 dash installed. Those are evidently similar in width, and with work the later dash can go in the Fox bodies. That was a yellow mid 80's Mustang I believe.

I do have an old 91 Explorer dash if you need any odd parts from it, a picture etc. It's been outside, so the vinyl etc is not very good. I was planning to strip the wiring from it, but never did it. Good luck,

i may take you up on that 91 dash if the swap is to much, this one is rough. i guess the guy that owned it before him was drunk and started tearing into it and messed alot up. except the vinyl, its almost new. i just need everything else, gauge faces, wiring, etc.

I knew of the mustang dash swap i had a '96 interior swap in my '88. for the explorer though i was wanting to get a SN95/New Edge dash and do the rest of the interior from a 2nd gen. possibly a Fox dash if i keep the body as a 1st gen. basically the dash choice depends on whether i make it look like a 2nd gen or keep it a 1st. i was just "testing the waters" so to speak. see if its even worth doing a dash swap... Thanks for the input though.

If anyone else knows of some one that has done or attempted to do this send me a link please.

Also, find Ryan's threads where he swapped the firewall in his 92 Explorer, with a 95-01 unit, plus the dash and door panels etc. He likely knows the most about the possibilities with the 91-94 trucks.

His was the white truck with his own swapped in Cobra brakes, and a later 302/4R70W etc. I think he was trying to sell it recently too.

Also, find Ryan's threads where he swapped the firewall in his 92 Explorer, with a 95-01 unit, plus the dash and door panels etc. He likely knows the most about the possibilities with the 91-94 trucks.

His was the white truck with his own swapped in Cobra brakes, and a later 302/4R70W etc. I think he was trying to sell it recently too.

oh, i have to swap the firewall to change the dash? wow thats alot of work, that may be a back shelf project lol.

No no, I just mentioned that, to point out how well Ryan knows the trucks. He did that to make the 95-01 Explorer dash bolt in, plus the AC system, so there was no interference for his swap to the 302 etc.

I don't know how similar the Mustang and Explorer dash(backside) might be. Unless someone else chimes in, you might have to get a measuring tape to each of them and see how they compare.

No no, I just mentioned that, to point out how well Ryan knows the trucks. He did that to make the 95-01 Explorer dash bolt in, plus the AC system, so there was no interference for his swap to the 302 etc.

I don't know how similar the Mustang and Explorer dash(backside) might be. Unless someone else chimes in, you might have to get a measuring tape to each of them and see how they compare.

Ah ok, i thought i would have to do the firewall also, thats a bit more work than i wanted, though i plan on a 302 for it as well, with a T-5 5speed. so i may need to find this Ryan and pick his brain a little. Thanks for all your help man, you've helped me out alot lately. is his user name just Ryan or what is it? to help narrow the thread search.

I see that, I don't know why it did that. The link was to his(Ryan - Spdrcer34) created threads.

Start with this which is his 302 swap thread, a direct link this time; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223022

This is the thread where he was parting out the truck; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407870

Ah, isnt he the guy who has a white 1st gen with limited front end and has a quote about being the lowest non bagged 1st gen?

i want his front end if i keep mine looking like a 1st gen...

Yes he's the one, he started that truck with it slammed that way, and then slowly upgraded it by swapping later Explorer parts into it. I never saw any threads of it getting a big power gain, I read of that in the parting out thread.

Back