• Register Today It's free!

Daytime driving lights

Twobeers

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Super Trac
Ok when you puts the keys into the ignition the daytime driving lights automatically turn on. Well mine on my new to me 2001 Super Trac have started to blink rapidly. Can some one please give me some pointers on what and where to look for the headlamp control module. Lights are working fine when headlight switch is turned on, its only during daytime driving mode. I hate seeing all the uncoming traffic slowing down, they think I am warning them about a radar ahead. :p :ca:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI!!
I had the same problem, mine melt down!!!
the module is under the front bumper on driverside, its a black box and its 110$ at the dealer(canadian funds), now I dont have daytime driving light, but dont care.
the box is approx 3 in. by 4 in. black with a 12 pins plug.

good luck

Thank you for your prompt response isapascal, now I know where to look for the sucker. Its kinda of ironic, usually I am a GM person, this is my second used Ford in 4yrs., the other was a Tempo and it also developed similar problems within 60 days of owning it, well not quite the same, on that piece of crap the driving lights came on by themselves at night and drained the battery dead several times, I thought I had a bad battery until a neighbor came knocking on my door and told me I had left the headlights on. I went out to a Canadian Tire store and bought a Hayes manual for 1991-2001 Ford Explorer. What a waste of money. The schematic diagrams stop at the 1999 model year. :fire:

HI again!!
I disconnected the damn box and wire harness(they melt together) and the rest of the light is working fine, and without daylight its less demanding on the alternator also....
Have a good day!!

Mine died a while ago also(rapid blinking), like Pascal I just unplugged it and carried on, you see lots of Fords on the road doing this, not worth the 100 bucks or so to me.

Cheers, Todd

Does your high beam INDICATOR still work after unplugging it?

Crankcase, yes it still works asd the one on my 92 worked after unplugging as well.

toad said:
Crankcase, yes it still works asd the one on my 92 worked after unplugging as well.

1992's had daytime running lights? My 92 doesn't. Crankcase, is that a misprint?

Twobeers said:
Ok when you puts the keys into the ignition the daytime driving lights automatically turn on. Well mine on my new to me 2001 Super Trac have started to blink rapidly.

Mine do this also after attacking puddles :D or when it rains hard. Might be just moisture for future consideration...

J

old mechanic said:
1992's had daytime running lights? My 92 doesn't. Crankcase, is that a misprint?

Mine 92 did for sure, I think it was just Canadian ones.

Yeah, Canadian only until 99 or something. Canadian Ford TRUCKS had them starting in 90.

Crankcase said:
Yeah, Canadian only until 99 or something. Canadian Ford TRUCKS had them starting in 90.

I added them to mine. The wiring was there, it just needed the module installed. I f that ever goes out, I keep the shorting cap I took out in the truck so I can just plug that back in and bypass the module again.

I took a little peek the other day and finally found it. Its right in front of the driverside wheel, you have to lift up the black plastic thing to see it. I have been simply just turning my headlights on as soon as I start the truck up. I turn off the headlights off when I see a radar set up on the side of the road, then turn them back on a couple of klicks down the road. When I get some time I will disconnect it and pull it out, tear it open and see what gives in there (I'm a electronics tech.) Will let you all know what I discover.

they filled the box with epoxy.....

Crankcase said:

yeah my 91 f-250 had them..it was from cnanida( :D )

Back