De-striped! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

De-striped!

Just de-striped my 98 Ex! Got an eraser wheel at the Sherwin Williams store, and it worked great. Whole thing took maybe 15 minutes :D. Previously tried the plastic razor blades and Goo-Gone, but that was painfully slow :(. The wheel cost like $13 - you don't need an arbor or a pneumatic - I just chucked the threaded stud in my cordless drill and ran it on the higher speed and it worked fine even though it's lower RPM than the wheel manufacturer recommends. This was the cheaper wheel, not the kinda pricey 3M one. Used some Goo-gone to clean the remaining residue afterwards.

Thinking I might do a full de-badge. Also deciding about stock rocker moldings or possibly getting something even lower profile, like just enough to cover the molding mounting holes. I kind of like the line of the body without rocker trim or running boards, just need to cover the holes. I like the stock molding okay, but if I don't do a lift I think it might look a little better with a more subtle rocker strip of some sort. Anybody know of a generic trim material, vinyl, rubber, maybe stainless that could be painted to match - just not chrome? Something that can be trimmed to fit? I'd use something like automotive adhesive to attach it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Paint fades on almost every color on cars over time, is the color of your paint more richer and deeper where the stripes were? Is there sort of a striping now where the lines were that show how faded the truck paint is around the stripes? Is it very noticeable? What color is your paint?

Just wondering.

hmm thanks for the info... i've always hated that stripe. Its fading to a nasty brown color, and chipping!

i de-striped and de-badged my 97... pics in my registry.. I prefer it this way

Si

Mine's white, and there's not a noticeable difference in color after I cleaned off the slight residue from the wheel. I haven't waxed it or buffed it yet either so I don't think it will be an issue. Besides, there are other minor issues with the paint anyway - yellowing clearcoat on the hood, etc. - so I'm not real worried about it until I get around to repainting it. The sides dont seem to be significantly different where the striping was - can't say zero difference, but I'd have to be looking for it to notice.
I just don't like pinstriping, and I'm not a big fan of chrome either unless it's on something from the '40's thru '60's.
Blueka, nice debadge, and I like the black grill too. I'm looking at maybe a black mesh sport grille for mine. The color is worn off my original grille - you can see the natural color plastic over half of it.

Back