Deceleration noise after 2 new tires were installed. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deceleration noise after 2 new tires were installed.

I've found a few postings that appear to be similar to my problem . . . I just had 2 new tires put on my 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 (1 was required to pass state inspection and the other 4 were low on tread but passed). On my way home from the Firestone service center, I noticed that when I got to around 45mph or more and took my foot off the gas to coast, there was a new noise and straining sound (and slight thumping sound) coming from the rear of the vehicle. By the way, the new tires were put on the rear. The problem was intermittent -- but it was definitely connected to my deceleration. It sounded similar to the strain on the transmission when I use 4-wheel drive. It continued to make this noise when I coasted or decelerated the next day, so I took it back to Firestone to check out.

They suggested that the problem is with the transfer case and the fact of the difference between tread between my old tires and new tires, so they put on 2 more new tires and said it was "much better." I will find out when I get there if the vehicle is back to normal, but I wonder if anyone else has had this problem and solved it WITHOUT having to buy all new tires! Help -- someone make me believe that they know what they are talking about!

On a 4wd or AWD you need to replace all 4 tires. The difference in circumference between the two new and two old tires can cause what you are describing.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the tires & wheels section. Did you check the number on the tires to make sure that they were the same as the previous ones? All 4 tires have to be the same size.

There is a TSB on the issue, and I believe it states that if there is a difference of a half inch or more in circumference between the front and rear tires, all four should be replaced.

The auto 4wd system on your explorer will sense a difference in wheel speed do to the smaller tires spinning faster than the larger tires and act as if a wheel has lost traction, engaging the 4wd.

Back