Deer Count: 1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Deer Count: 1

Truck is EXACTLY 1 week on the road bought it one week and 2 no 3 days now ago.. Winters here in pa and so is the rut.. Driving down my normal country roads next I kno boom connecting with a doe sending her sliding about 50 feet where she faceplanted and I'm guessing broke her neck...

The damage is minor guys I cracked then plastic bumper cover just driver side of center on the top of it heading back towards the ran and only down about an in on the front when it curves down.. Lights grill everything.. hell even the fogs are still intact

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had to drive to help a stranded friend tonight and saw 14 deer and almost hit 3. Now I know why this is considered prime hunting land.

Yeah, the deer are in full swing in PA. Almost scragged a small 6 point last night at a dead run. He was running full bore and it was too icy to slow down. Missed him by 5-10 feet, while starting to slide sideways. I probably would have came out worse. I had my plow on, and I imagine it would have taken him out at the legs and threw him onto the hood, or windshield.

Pictures comming today.. need opinions give me a couple of hours

Did you keep the deer?????????

No the state cop wouldn't let me... It was in his neighbors yard humm.....Guy comes down in a camo coat with what appeared to be hunting boots and told me I couldn't have the deer did write me a police report i wonder where that deer went

ha ha ha , let them take it,, chances are the meat is not worth taking away , most road kill deer bleed out on the inside, and ruins the meat anyways,, had one that was just a head shot, to the bumper of an avalanche till it got cut open, blood evertywhere,, trip to the dump to get rid of it,
i clean up a few every year, sometimes have to cut the poeple out of thier cars,, most of the time, the meat is gross,

Ya I don't really care.. I'm just so pleased with how well my X took the blow.. completely devastated my heap when I hit one about a month ago before I sold her... so I expected ALOT worse then what I got.. I should go snap a picture for you guys.....

If you're gonna run those suckers down do it with a really fricking expensive car.
This is what I did to my brothers car this July at 70 mph.
Never saw that sucker.
It doesn't look bad but it was $13,500. of damage.

Car1-vi.jpg

Car2-vi.jpg

p.s. Those Seven Series BMW's make great Deer smacking machines.
Thank God it wasn't my Explorer, I also don't think my Brother will
be loaning me his car again soon. :D

yeah, It would be great to see those photos. Perhaps you should invest in a bamby basher, I mean grill guard. I've always wanted to know how grill guards hold up against deer. Anyone ever hit a deer with a grill guard before?

The cheap run of the mill brush guards get demolished, and usually end up smashing into the hood and grill.

The cheap run of the mill brush guards get demolished, and usually end up smashing into the hood and grill.
What brands/ types of brush guards do you recommend hitting a deer with that are not cheap and run of the mill?

I just bought the smittybilt sport bumper guard... literally 2 minutes ago @ 120 bucks I couldn't say no... I had a bigger one on my jeep and it did ALOT of damage.. destroyed fender hood lights grill.. cause it bends on top and twists EVERYTHING @ any speed over 20.. This will just hopefully put a lil distance if I hit the deer and with my bumper sitting at about 3 foot high.. its gettin the body almost every time...

You know I hit that thing not touching my brakes.. I was once told @ any speed under 35-40 you will do better to brake up to it and let off so ur front end raises up thus avoiding headlights and grill and wacking it with your bumper.. but ya I will post before and after pics with this thing and if I get to test it out will report :)

To handle a full size deer, and doing it at 45mph it's going to need to be beefy. The problem with brush guards is they are 90% designed for looks only. It's going to need solid mounts to the frame, and a crossmember on the frame above the bumper would be way better. If you couldn't pull the truck out of a hole strapped to it, I don't think it would hold up. I think the only good option is a custom bumper/brush guard combo.

This thing appears to be the only option if you don't want to go the custom way.. it bolts to the frame under and looks to be above the front bumper as well.. I would assume in a front end impact if anything it would help absorb some of the energy before it got to bumper and then inner front end.. headlights and what not usually turn out worse when you hit a deer with that big fancy brush guard on there... imo

A lift helps more than a brushguard.

I hit a deer once, I had probably slowed down to 20 mph by the time I hit it. Deer went under the truck. Zero damage.

We hit a cow elk once in our F350. All it did was bust the grill!

Back