How to: - Default Overdrive OFF modification | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Default Overdrive OFF modification

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
I actually tried to do that. I put something together on a bread board that worked. But I looked at what I had, then looked at the TR7 and it was a no brainer for me! Building little tiny electronic circuits is NOT my forte!! A man must know his limits... :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no electrical skills whatsoever. I read this thread a while ago and since it's recent resurgence, I turned off OD the old fashioned way and I love the way it drives around town without OD on, especially with my Henson 91 Performance tune and the TM Headers.

Too bad it wasn't something that could be done via a SCT tune. :(

Nice work. If I'm ever driving throgh Phoenix, I'm looking you up. :D

My wife has been driving around with the overdrive off in the city lately and said it has made a noticeable improvement in drive-ability. It also has the added benefit of keeping trans temps down ;) Speed limits on most streets where she is at are 35-45 mph, and the temp gauge would read 150 all day (which is the internal thermostat opening temp on the 5r55e I do believe) but would spike up to 175 or so quite often. Now it is steady at 150.

Can't wait to get home and do this modification =]

would this affect u on ur mpg because i see that going at 45 with the o/d off its at a little higher rpm?

would this affect u on ur mpg because i see that going at 45 with the o/d off its at a little higher rpm?

I haven't done the mod, but have gotten into the habit of turning off OD when I start my truck in the city. I haven't noticed a huge decrease in mpg. It's worth it to me. Better driveability and less strain on the tranny. I plan to own my truck for a long time (it's only got 78,000 miles on it, not bad for a 12 year old) and I use synth anywhere I can. Driving around town with OD on can't hurt anything. :)

Cobra man, would you be willing to build one of these for me? i have no electrical skills haha
with the 33's the truck seems to shift into od earlier then id like just crusing around town. what would you charge me to build a unit? pm me

TheOne major problem with the original posters statement about meters. As and ASE certified technician I have to inform all who read this that on modern computer stems with OBD2 (all 96 & newer) you need a meter with at minimum 10 MEGAN OHMS IMPEDENCE (internal resistance) or you run a huge risk of frying your meter and any one of the onboard computers resulting in some costly repairs. So be carefull about using cheap meters. Mine is industrial grade by craftsmen cuz I dont use enough to justify getting a good fluke just yet but mine does.the job, has the right specs and cost $ 100 at sears and is also shocks resistant and waterproof

Absolutely true...you have to have the correct meter. This cheap meter I have meets that criteria. In fact, I haven't seen a digital meter that wasn't safe. Not saying they aren't out there, but I haven't seen one. It's the old analog meters that are the ones to stay away from.

If you want a great meter that has incredible capabilities for expansion, the Fluke 88V is about as good as it gets without getting into a scope. And if you do some shopping around, you can get them quite reasonable. I bought a used one for my son for his birthday. Sent it off to Fluke for calibration and got back a meter just like new. Total cost was under $200.

I've always been irked that the transmission on Ford products defaults to Overdrive being activated. Since it's not a good idea to let your transmission be hunting back and forth between direct and overdrive while you drive around town, I try and remember to shut it off. However, I usually forget until it shifts into overdrive the first time...then I go "Doh!". I've always thought it dumb you couldn't switch the default around. So today, I did just that...kinda...

First thing I did was build me a circuit with a 555 timer and my breadboard. Although it was fun, getting it all onto a circuit board was going to leave me with a rather large electronics piece. I may be able to design and built the circuits, but making them small and usable isn't my cup of tea. All thumbs I guess! :)

So I looked up on pegboard and found a couple of TR7 modules there. Perfect! So I programed one up to Feature 17, and wired it up. By the way, Feature 17 isn't on any instruction sheet. You need to go to PAC's website and find it. They won't support it either...but it's still there and very usable. Let me know if anyone wants to try this and needs the programming instructions.

Anyway...here's the module in the first picture after I soldered the supply and trigger wires together. I want it to trigger a pulse 3 seconds after the key is turned on. This does that. It pulses down the blue wire. The shrink wrap on the blue wire is for a diode to prevent 12V from going back into the module when I manually trigger the factory switch. I'm not sure you need this...but it didn't hurt.

Then you go under your steering column. Remove the lower panel and support for access. find the small connector from the OD switch. It's to the side of my finger in this horrible picture. (2nd picture) There are two wires to this connector and you need to tap into each of them.

The Violet with Orange stripe is the power line. It's hot in run. Tap your red lead into this wire. The other wire is Tan with a White stripe. This goes to the ECM and tells the ECM to toggle the OD feature on and off. Tap your blue wire into this wire. Solder an appropriate end to the black wire and fasten it to the green ground bolt to the right of the steering column. Fasten the TR7 module out of the way and your done. (last picture)

Now, everytime I start the car, in 3 seconds, the OD light turns on and I default to no overdrive. The factory switch on the end of the stalk still operates as normal. Just a little something to do on a slow day!

By the way...I have an $800 Fluke meter that does a LOT. But I haven't had it out of the case in months now. I keep fishing out this cheap Walmart meter you see. I think it cost me all of about $10. I bought it when I needed it at my son's house one day and we didn't have one. I use the hell out of it! And I just toss it in the tool box. I don't treat it nice at all. Had it for about 3 years now. EVERYONE needs a meter...and this is about as cheap as it gets. And it works! (if I need very precise measurements, I get the Fluke out...but this one is good enough for 99.9% of your needs)
Overdrive only trigger over 45mph, and torque demand<100, isn't it? I can't see why you can protect your tranny.

Our surface streets here have a speed limit of 45 mph. Besides, needless shifting in and out of OD is hard on the trans and converter. You just don't need it. But hey...if you don't feel it's necessary, don't do this. For many of us, it takes care of a pain in the back side. I love mine and wouldn't change it for the world.

Our surface streets here have a speed limit of 45 mph. Besides, needless shifting in and out of OD is hard on the trans and converter. You just don't need it. But hey...if you don't feel it's necessary, don't do this. For many of us, it takes care of a pain in the back side. I love mine and wouldn't change it for the world.

I never did the mod, but have gotten into the habit of turning OD off when driving around town. My truck is much more driveable. I do use OD at highway speeds, but that's about it.

Is it braking better?

Is it braking better?

I would assume it is. When OD is turned off the necessary clutches inside the tranny stay engaged to enable engine braking. That also keeps revs up and increases vacuum for the brake booster.

Perry

Just wondering but wouldn't this cause you to get less mpg? I mean i still think it's pretty cool though.

Depends. Where is your engine's best torque range? What speed do you drive around? Is it in that range? Is that where you get the best mileage? Lots of factors there. I did it because the speeds we drive around here had the trans in and out of OD all the time. That was a lot more annoying than the possibility of slightly reduced mileage.

Overdrive only trigger over 45mph, and torque demand<100, isn't it? I can't see why you can protect your tranny.

No...you can get OD a lot sooner than that. At least in the V8 models. Can't speak to V6 models.

Ditto, my 98 V8 shifts to 4th below 35mph. I need to look into this, I regularly shut off my OD easily 20 times a day. Since I have to shut the engine off every time I get out of the truck(and that happens 40+ times a day), I'd like to kill the OD.

I know how to defeat OD permanently, with two relays, but I'd rather not do it that way(will trigger an error code eventually).

Ditto, my 98 V8 shifts to 4th below 35mph. I need to look into this, I regularly shut off my OD easily 20 times a day. Since I have to shut the engine off every time I get out of the truck(and that happens 40+ times a day), I'd like to kill the OD.

I know how to defeat OD permanently, with two relays, but I'd rather not do it that way(will trigger an error code eventually).
Just turn the OD off in a custom tune. Problem solved. Especially if you don't need it more than you do. I have mine adjusted so it goes in around 48-50 mph-works well for me. I also have it programmed to downshift with the converter locked so 4-3 around 42 mph and converter stays locked sounds like a manual when driving slowly holding the gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks, I'll look into that for my 99 truck when I get to the V8.

Back