detailing tips | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

detailing tips

I got a "shammy" for christmas and a ryobi orbital with an applicator and polisher pad..

my truck is 5 years old, its been garaged since it was bought, I have a "diamondgloss" treatment done once a year.

In the past I have used a "poke around the neighborhood" method for drying the vehicle off after washing it.. I stopped recently since I have the "shammy" I follow up each and every wash of my vehicle with mothers back to black and chrome polish on the rims guards and exhaust tips, I use the back to black on the mirrors rubber around the windows and the black interior parts. I also use meguiars rich leather whipes on the seats dash and door panels, meguiars wax on the paint (has been hand applicated and removed with a bath towel in the past) and use black magic tire gen on the tires.

I have small water spots in the paint that not even waxing removes, I also have small black.. things.. in my paint on the rear hatch that can't be felt on the paint itself, but.. are visible, and the usual tar and all along the wheel wells that I haven't been able to get off no matter what I do.

Can anyone give me any tips on where I can improve? I plan on using this orbital for future wax applications if I can figure out how to use it..

I feel like I dont take well enough care of this thing.. its only 5 years old and it doesn't look new.. theres no reason it shouldn't.. so thtas my goal.. to make it look new again.. and keep it that way.. any insight on what I'm doing/not doing is much apprecited

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could try out some of the better waxes & glosses other guys use on the site.

Zaino & Klasse are highly recommended by others. I don't know who makes Klasse but you can find zaino stuff @ www.zainobros.com. You will need Z1, Z2, and Z5, maybe Z6 but I think I was told Z5 and Z6 are basically the same thing. Unless you dont drive your truck a lot during the year and out in rain and stuff, you should have it waxed more than once a year. The Zaino with 2-4 coats will bring back the full shine of the paint.

If you are going to try this go ahead and wash the truck with Dawn dish detergent. It should get off all the wax residue from previous applications.

its my daily, so its out in everything..

I wax it every time I wash it.. and I wash it every 2-3 weeks if I can.. perhaps a bit larger gap during the winter cos it takes a good buildup of guts to rush out there and wash a car in cold weather heh

I have been using armor all car wash concentrate

is this zaino a multiple application wax? it sounds like it

yea its a multiple application, if you only put on 1 coat, you are wasting your time because you wont see the full effect of it.

James, I suggest you to go to this forum. They're the most intelligent people on automotive detailing. I'm a member on there so that's how I got hooked into detailing mine. As you've probably seen some of my pics here and there on this board. Here's the addy:

http://www.autopia.org/index.php

I think if you wanna see the forum and stuff, you need to sign up. It's free so don't worry about paying anything. Good luck!!

thanks, I'llk sign up in justa sec.

ok.. NOW they send me something about activation.. gah.. 1st forum I've seen with such a thing

Originally posted by MO_GUY
think I was told Z5 and Z6 are basically the same thing. Unless you dont drive your truck a lot during the year and out in rain and stuff, you should have it waxed more than once a year. The Zaino with 2-4 coats will bring back the full shine of the paint.

Z5 and Z6 are not the same. Z-5 Polish for swirl marks & fine scratches whereas Z^ is Ultra Clean "Gloss Enhancer" Spray .

I use Z1, Z2 and Z6 only; I have never used Z5.

The Z5 doesn't work, its not abrasive so it doesnt get rid of the swirls, and in a few washes they'll be back. I reccomend using a real swirl remover like Mequiars #9 or 3M, and then doing the dawn wash and proceeding with the Zainoing.

I must say , if you want your explorer to shine better than new , use 3m finessite products . It might be a little more work to use than your average wonder wax , but it gives you show quality results and thats what I use as a autorama first place winner . There is no better product and ive looked for 25 years. This not a advertisement its real . Find it at your local auto paint supplier and you have to use a buffing wheel to apply it. The shine you wont believe and Ive painted and block sanded many paint jobs and there is no better out there . Meguirs is ok , but all its doing is putting oil and wax to the origanal finish to make it look better. Finnessite actually polishes out scratches and makes the finish new again. IF GO to buy it ask for finnesseete 11 (2) , they also have glaze , dont buy , use plain old turtle wax instead.Want a show truck , use it!!!

its only 5 years old and it doesn't look new
That statement I don't understand. Of course it's going to show wear and tear after 5 years. If it's out in the elements, it will deteriorate. You can certainly slow that process by taking care of it but after 5 years, it has to show wear.

I dont consider a vehicle old until its at least 10 years old.. it should show no signs of age until that point, in the form of maintainence issues or appearance..

I base that on most of the vehicles that we own and have owned over the years..

if you take care of something theres no reason it should show age at 5..10.. 15 years old, if it does its cos I haven't been taking proper care, or at least, thats my theory

Originally posted by DarkFox1
I dont consider a vehicle old until its at least 10 years old.. it should show no signs of age until that point, in the form of maintainence issues or appearance..

I base that on most of the vehicles that we own and have owned over the years..

if you take care of something theres no reason it should show age at 5..10.. 15 years old, if it does its cos I haven't been taking proper care, or at least, thats my theory

Wake up and smell the roses,,,

I agree with Dark, if you take care of a car properly it can easily look as good, or better than new at age 5. My Lexus will be 5 in May, and you can't tell that its anywhere near as old as it is. People always mistake it for brand new, because its been taken care of with the best products since it was new. Same is true of the Explorer. Its had some maintenance issues, but it still looks fantastic, people mistake it for new too.

As a matter of fact, I see a lot of cars in near perfect condition at 5 years old. Modern cars are designed to look newer longer nowadays, you just have to care for them properly.

Back