Detroit electronic locker | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detroit electronic locker

email i got back after inquiring about a release date:

The Electrac will be made for the 8.8 Ford axle sometime this year. I am sorry I do not have a more accurate date, but no release date has been set.

Brent Bussell
Senior Account Administrator
Application Technician
Tractech Inc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That article says the 8.8 version should be coming out in late Spring......................that may be perfect timing!!

Robb

Thats an awesome design.

I dont see why everyone is so worried about the ARB air line though, the ARB has proven itself over the years to be very reliable and tough.......yes they are expensive but wouldnt you be if you didnt have any competition (yet)?

I always hear people say, no air lines to deal with or cut, etc etc, but has anybody ever actually cut the ARB line? When I installed and routed mine I cycled the suspension through the full range of travel and there is absolutely no way this sucker is gonna get cut, chaffed, etc. Besides it's the same as running wires to an electric locker. If the air line was to get damamged I would just run a new length fron the compressor to the diff, same as wires..........I dont get the concerns..........

It would be sweet as can be to have a L/S or a locker though.........ARB cant touch that....

Yikes! I would also want to see these suckers in action for a few years before I bought one, I know ARB had lots of problems with their early 8.8 units, all concerns have been fixed since then I believe. Also that sucker has that big ass actuator mounted on the diff cover????? Is it rock friendly????
the other thing is they straight used the same damn dash switch that ARB uses, granted they are marine grade switches built by a totally different manufacturer but coulndt you use another switch design???

So I'm picky. I love the idea, I just want to see one in action, just because Jeep says the Liberty is still a lengendary Jeep off road vehicle doesnt mean it an keep up with a Cj-7 off road......

the guy i talked to at tractech told me late spring as the date for the 8.8. he said all drawings and plans are done. they just have to build them. i may skip the powertrax and go for one of these. who knows.

I got a new Performance Products catalog in the mail the other day, and it has the Electrac in there available for the 8.8, and if I remember the D35 also. Do not have the magazine handy, but the price was around $650, give or take a few dollars.

Originally posted by Limited Ex
I got a new Performance Products catalog in the mail the other day, and it has the Electrac in there available for the 8.8, and if I remember the D35 also. Do not have the magazine handy, but the price was around $650, give or take a few dollars.
Get That Mag!!! If you are serious that this e-locker will be in the ball-park of $650...........you just made my month!!!

Robb

gimme about a half hour and I can give you a part number......

that has to be a pre-order thing if you read it right. the guy at truetrac told me late spring when i talked to him today.

sorry about that, I lied. Its the Eaton E Locker that they have. Says it is for the 10-8.8 Front and Rear for $646 each.

Food for thought.....

As I was building a Dana 44 for my Father-in-Law's Bronco II (400hp 302, currie 9in, 38" swampers) I talked extensively with multiple dealers. We at first wanted the electric locker but after talking to West Coast Diffs changed our mind quickly. Think about the design. The platform starts out as a Tru-trac (what we were replacing anyway). The Tru-trac was a poor design, and week. Do you really want to rely on a design that started as something that most 4x4s distrust anyway? We ended up the the Ox locker, more money but worth every penny! I know, I know, it's not available for the D35 and 8.8. When I can afford to replace my Detroit, I will go with the ARBs front and rear. The ARBs will give you years of life with proper maintennace and proper care is given when installing. I've put them in JPs for years with no complaints. Pay the extra $$ for upgraded air lines. I've been stalling on the D35 to lie to myself in dreaming about a SAS. Have heard rumors of the OX locker being in the R&R stage for the Ford 9" and 8.8".

P.S. How can we get an electric locker for our D35? You have to replace the diff cover just like the OX Locker.

OK, OK my little 2 bits worth. Let the rants begin..... ;)

No different to install than any other full locker...

wow... this sounds great! The timing might just work out for me too. I've decided that I do really need to get a selectable locker as I'm driving in the snow for 4 months out of the year, adn this sounds like a really great model. Hope to hear some updates soon!

Back