Diag code P0171 and P0174 Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diag code P0171 and P0174 Help Please

kexplorer2001

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01' Explorer Sport
New to forum..... I have a 2001 Ford Explorer sport 2wd V6 4.0l 114k miles.
Check engin lite on with code P0171 and P0174. what what I can gather from asking around. it sounds like bad Oxygen sensors. I'm told there 4of them 2 uppers one on each side and 2 lowers on each side. please confirm with your help .. does any one have the ohm specs for each when hot or cold. need help the find issue so I can repaire.

Thanks all

Unlikely to be oxygen sensors. These codes are for 'system too lean' on both sides of the engine. This usually indicates 'unmetered air', or in simple language, a vacuum leak. The V6 SOHC engine (if that's the one you have) is notorious for failing manifold gaskets, causing this problem. Search previous postings - there is plently of information on the subject.

By the way, you cannot test an oxygen sensor by measuring its resistance. It acts like a battery which, when hot, produces a voltage that depends on oxygen content of the exhaust gas.

New to forum..... I have a 2001 Ford Explorer sport 2wd V6 4.0l 114k miles.
Check engin lite on with code P0171 and P0174. what what I can gather from asking around. it sounds like bad Oxygen sensors. I'm told there 4of them 2 uppers one on each side and 2 lowers on each side. please confirm with your help .. does any one have the ohm specs for each when hot or cold. need help the find issue so I can repaire.

Thanks all

Back