• Register Today It's free!

diagnose my squeak!

dersch6221992

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mounty
Okay so here it is. about 3 months ago i replaced all the shocks on my truck and my front wheel bearings. now this last month i developed a higher pitch squeak its the darnest most annoying thing driving. Its not super loud where you cant drown it out but you hear it.

i checked out the right side shocks and well its loose... the rubber bushings fell apart (i had to reuse the stock stuff cause rancho sucks)... so new ones are coming for that. however i do not think thats the full issue since my left side is still tight.

i have been looking on here and some people seem to think the squeak could be a sway bar bushing? i looked up how to replace it seems fairly simple.

so a little background on the noise... it does not increase when i turn, nor is it only one side (sounds like both sides) its only when the truck is bouncing up and down. i am positive its not a ball joint (the uppers are brand new this winter, and it isnt making the loud annoying noise that ball joints do when they go out)
also to note idk why but my truck seems to break stabilizer sway bar suspension links like no other (the part from the sway bar end to the a-arms) so technically i think both sides are broke right side is for sure.... so idk if that would cause my squeak? I am leaning towards the sway bar bushing though because thats what everyone seems to think....

I need to get this fixed before saturday im making a run to bundy hill with a buddy for memorial day.

any ideas??? if no one responds (would be a shame) i will just do the bushings and see if that fixes it.... also can i just go down to autozone to get these parts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're sure its the front? my grandfather's sierra squeaks and creak on bumps because of the rear leaf spring shackles (one of which was just replaced) so i figured it was the bushings on the other one.

You're sure its the front? my grandfather's sierra squeaks and creak on bumps because of the rear leaf spring shackles (one of which was just replaced) so i figured it was the bushings on the other one.

yup i am positive. its front end. i went leaned over next to the front left tire and lightly pushed and she squeaked.

Mine was a damn exhaust hanger rubbin the pipe took me 2 weeks to figure it out

Spray water where the bushings contact the sway bar. If the squeaks stop,
measure with a crescent wrench. Are you using OEM replacement end links?
Moog recently released an end link that uses polyurethane bushings instead
of the soft blue thermoplastic rubber used in the K7275 replacement links.

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_en1/MOOG_Sway_Bar_Link_Sheet.pdf

Since you have a TT, the front sway bar end links should be extended the same distance as your lift.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194211

I dont really want to make custom ones though... and plus i have broke these a few times before i even TT the truck. so im not really sure why they keep breaking maybe im just too rough on it.

so basically its like running no sway bar end links right now, do i really need them? I dont really feel a lot of body roll. nothing im not used to at least.

Stock end links or aftermarket? OEM links are a very poor design and are failure prone.
If you feel safe driving on the highway without a sway bar remove it. Biggest concern
is making an evasive maneuver to avoid an accident, and the increased risk of rollover. GL

http://www.moogproblemsolver.com/_pdf_En/MOOG_PS_Bulletin_25471_K7275_En.pdf

I want the sway bar on there for sure... im just not sure if i want the sway bar links.... i find that i just break them and dont realize it.... so half the time im running without sway bar links.

Ballast? Seriously, the sway bar has NO function without BOTH end links connected.
Unless you plan on reconnecting the end links, the sway bar is only dead weight.

Ballast? Seriously, the sway bar has NO function without BOTH end links connected.
Unless you plan on reconnecting the end links, the sway bar is only dead weight.

oh.... well then maybe i should just buy some new ones and reconnect them.... either way it still squeaks and is darn annoying

Quick disconnects for off roading are another option. Not difficult to make, it's more parts gathering. Search.

well i went to do the bushings today. front bolts on both sides came out no problem. how ever the back bolts not so much. they are litterally stuck. it almost like the cross threaded coming out. I hear there is loctite on the bolts so i tried heating them up, and i tried PB blaster. I even went and bought an impact. so depending on if i can get them or not tomorrow im either going to leave them, or im going to run to a local garage and just have them take the stuck bolts out real quick. im assuming i really just need a high powered air gun or something

Back