• Register Today It's free!

"Dieseling" noise

Ray Bates

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Since the temperatures have gone up this summer (low to mid 90s or so), I have ran into some engine noise. It is not necessarily high temperature dependent though. Quite a few times, I've driven somewhere (it doesn't have to be a great distance), parked and turned the engine off. Ten minutes or so when I leave, I get in and start the engine. It will make a "dieseling" kind of sound. And it's not just for a few seconds. It keeps making the noise. I can drive off and when I get where I'm going it will have stopped. It doesn't stop when idling. Yesterday whan going at highway speed (60mph or so), I also though I heard a low "moaning" or "groaning" sound from somwhere in the engine compartment or below the vehicle in front. Any ideas, especially the "dieseling"? I taking the Explorer to the dealer this afternoon to see what they think. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question

When you talk about dieseling, are you talking about the action of the motor not wanting to stop when you cut the ignition, or simply your motor sound if it where a diesel engine when running. Did you check your oil level, it sound like the head is missing oil and the valves are talking to you, then again maybe not. The groaning, does it increase with speed or engine rev?

BExplorer, the sound is when the motor is running and at idle (vehicle is parked). I haven't tried reving the motor. I also dont' notice it when going down the road (road noise may or may not mask it). The oil level is fine. The groaning seems to increase when increasing throttle. I really only noticed the groaning yesterday (a 95+ degree day). Although not a good sound, I hope I can reproduce it for the dealer this afternoon. Thanks for the response.

could be a cam tensioner, thats what happens on the sohc's it goes away eventually

Jas84, do you mean it goes away with out replacement? I know there is the problem with the cam chain guide.

Back