Diff cover debate - aluminum or steel? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff cover debate - aluminum or steel?

Sounds like you already made up your mind, but as far as getting a good seal on the diff cover, only use The Right Stuff. Regular RTV doesn't compare, I tried re-sealing mine twice with it before trying The Right Stuff. Your G2 cover probably isn't the problem, it's the sealant you're using.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the money the Solid cover is hard to beat. My favorite cover is the Riddler as well because of how beefy it is and the sloped design on the bottom lip which helps to slide over rocks easier than the "stepped" lip of a regular style cover.

The DIY covers are not the best unless you have some good fab equipment. The bolt ring WILL warp and unless you have a large belt sander or milling machine to surface it after welding you will not get a nice and flat surface to seal. An unwelded kit for nearly the same price as a Solid cover, I would choose a Solid cover all day.

Aluminum covers like the G2 with the fins/ribbing are amazingly stout. I have a friend that has one on the back of his rock crawler and it has seen its share of abuse. It has never cracked and has done its job of protecting the diff although he has broken off 1 or 2 of the aluminum fins. Since you already have it I would just reuse it.

I also highly suggest a Lube Locker gasket. It is a reuseable gasket that requires no sealant or RTV and costs around $22. No mess, no scraping RTV ever again and it seals up great.

It was touched on a few posts ago but there are skid plates available for the front TTB diff. They are not covers because the beam itself is the cover but the skids do add a degree of protection to the aluminum diff and a ramped surface to help slide over rocks. I know a guy who makes them :D

It was touched on a few posts ago but there are skid plates available for the front TTB diff. They are not covers because the beam itself is the cover but the skids do add a degree of protection to the aluminum diff and a ramped surface to help slide over rocks. I know a guy who makes them :D

Incidentally...you know, regarding the shock plates I got from you about what, 2-3 months ago...I sent them to a local powdercoater in October, and I *still* don't have them back yet. :roll:

Incidentally...you know, regarding the shock plates I got from you about what, 2-3 months ago...I sent them to a local powdercoater in October, and I *still* don't have them back yet. :roll:

I would have done them the same day and sent them the next. ask anyone here. :(

The RTV debate is very valid and I don't recall if I used The Right Stuff the last time or not. The leak seams to come form the the same position all three times and seeps about the same all three times. I like the idea of a gasket and have not investigated that yet. Im still shopping for all the stuff I need to rehear so I have time to get the lil bits.

I may just get he Solid Axle unit since its so cheap right now. I don't rock bash, but I like the idea of having my gears strong and protected for when I do bounce on rocks, tow or whatever.

As far as the front cover is concerned, I suspected it was a bash guard, but wasn't certain that was what was really meant. I can be dense sometimes...

Thanks for the suggestions and advice! It greatly appreciated.
And, for those fellas that use the search function, this thread will be here for others in the event they are thinking of regearing or diff cover shopping too.

When I get the project done, I'll post some pics and maybe do a quicky how-to on the project.

Brian1, do you can you share the info on the fella that makes those front guards, I might want to do that, depending on my budget. I might not put an Aussie in the front this time around as I'm thinking of a E-locker and I can't afford that at all.

Brian1, do you can you share the info on the fella that makes those front guards, I might want to do that, depending on my budget. I might not put an Aussie in the front this time around as I'm thinking of a E-locker and I can't afford that at all.

I don't know if he still makes them, but [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION] did at one time... https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384637

I've also seen the RoughCountry 1036 Dana 35 diff guard but I don't know if that will fit the TTB of the 1st gen.

~Mark

Brian1, do you can you share the info on the fella that makes those front guards,

That would be me as well who makes them. See the link Maniak posted for my for sale thread on them - also quoted below

I don't know if he still makes them, but [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION] did at one time... https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=384637
~Mark

Thanks Mark, I still make them from time to time. Right now I have 2 made up.

Time to check on them! :eek: I'll vouch for Turdle, he does nice work - (Just look at that Riddler cover he posted above!). This goes for anyone, If you make arrangements with Turdle ahead of time I can always ship stuff to him and then he can ship the powdercoated part to you.

He has a solid axle up front, same as where I have my Solid cover. I rammed it into a rock making a ten point U-turn on the edge of a cliff where I did not want to back up anymore. I "bumped" it over the rock using the fins of the cover. All it did was scratch the coating on the leading edges.

Also, there is no drain plug on the Dana 44 solid axle to use as a fill limit indicator. You just need to add two quarts.

Sorry, I missed this and a couple replies somehow. That explained the front diff cover remark...SAS!

I can vouch for both Brian1 & Turdle. Both of them do amazing work. I have several items from them both. Top notch work!

As far as the covers go, I have both a Rock Crusher (Solid style) which is cast, & a Ruffstuff which is plate.

For me Personally, The plate cover wins hands down between them. I will "Drop" them onto rocks more then back up into them. The impact doesn't phase the thick steel plate covers at all. The deflection on these are better, and you slide right off. The fill plugs are recessed and the bungs are welded. Your not going to break these welds on these, trust me.

The cast covers are strong, but they can crack if hit just right. For peace of mind in the middle of nowhere, it was an easy choice for me to use the 3/8" thick steel plate cover, when I bought another. I will replace the Cast cover on the other rig next spring. I will have it for sale cheap! lol

I can vouch for both Brian1 & Turdle. Both of them do amazing work. I have several items from them both. Top notch work!

As far as the covers go, I have both a Rock Crusher (Solid style) which is cast, & a Ruffstuff which is plate.

For me Personally, The plate cover wins hands down between them. I will "Drop" them onto rocks more then back up into them. The impact doesn't phase the thick steel plate covers at all. The deflection on these are better, and you slide right off. The fill plugs are recessed and the bungs are welded. Your not going to break these welds on these, trust me.

The cast covers are strong, but they can crack if hit just right. For peace of mind in the middle of nowhere, it was an easy choice for me to use the 3/8" thick steel plate cover, when I bought another. I will replace the Cast cover on the other rig next spring. I will have it for sale cheap! lol

Well met, Gman!

The price is hard to pass up on the Solidaxle unit and honestly, its a super deal I don't want to pass up. However, I have the Ruffstuff SOA kit and was rely impressed with the quality of it and like the diff cover they offer. I'm really undecided right now.

My current cover is mucho better than stock and honestly, I don't wheel enough to think I'd damage it. But when I get the gears and Aussie diff in, that might change...I'd rather pay now then later. But, again, I just don't see myself wheeling that much as I'm not inclined to go that crazy since I usually wheel by myself so I'm very conservative.

Well, if your going to get the Solid cover, have it sent to Turdle so he can make it look all purdy looking like he did for mine. :)

rockcrushercover.jpg

Well, if your going to get the Solid cover, have it sent to Turdle so he can make it look all purdy looking like he did for mine. :)

rockcrushercover.jpg

That is almost too nice to go on under my truck!!!! :chug:

That is almost too nice to go on under my truck!!!! :chug:

Another one of Turdle's jobs.. (diff cover)..

2847914898_a4977f5458_z.jpg
IMG_1583 by maniak_az, on Flickr

He has also done my extended Radius Arms using [MENTION=30743]Burns[/MENTION] Green

~Mark

Nice Mark!! I've always really loved your Explorer...

All that work on the diff cover to just be slapped on a dirty old housing, come on!!

Yeah because tearing down a rear axle to remove all bearings and seals is easy. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah because tearing down a rear axle to remove all bearings and seals is easy. ;)

I'm not saying to go that far, just a squirt of WD-40 and a wipe down :thumbsup:

Back