Difference between axles?

SeventhAlkali

Reaction score
City, State
Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hello!
I was just wondering if there is any difference between a front solid axle and a rear solid axle. Might be a stupid question, but I want to possibly put a solid axle with LSD in the front and a locker in the rear, but I'm kind of new to all of this. I want to research well before I ruin my car. If I were to get another solid axle, how would I move the lsd to the front and put a locker in the back? Are there any brands I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you asking if you can put the limited slip out of a 8.8 rear axle into a steering axle? If that's the question, then no. As far as I know, there is no solid front 8.8 steering axle. All of the internals are different for different axles, D44, D60, Ford 9", etc.

You can purchase a limited slips for most common steering axles. I haven't looked into limited slips in a long time, since I am a fan of selectable lockers for steering axles, like ARB or E-Lockers.

Hello! I was just wondering if there is any difference between a front solid axle and a rear solid axle. Might be a stupid question, but I want to possibly put a solid axle with LSD in the front and a locker in the rear, but I'm kind of new to all of this. I want to research well before I ruin my car. If I were to get another solid axle, how would I move the lsd to the front and put a locker in the back? Are there any brands I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you!
@SeventhAlkali

Biggest difference of course is that the front wheels must be steerable, the rear do not. Complicating things is the fact that various different means are used for suspension of a front steering axle. If we're talking about your '99, it has no front springs, but rather torsion bars, which prohibit swapping in any other axle except the correct one.

You CAN of course install an LSD in your existing front axle. Be aware that if any other than a Torsen-type or True-trac are used, (i.e. clutch-type), you would be very disappointed. AFAIK, I do not believe a Torsen is available for your front axle, which I expect is a Dana model 35. imp

I was wondering about lockers in front. I wanted an LSD because I heard it steers better than a locker, but since you can switch a locker on and off, would that just defeat the purpose of an LSD on front? Also, which is cheaper, more durable, and easier to install/use?

I recommend you forget about putting anything in the front axle, and put the locker in the rear axle. Then drive it for a while, do whatever trails etc that you think you want a locker for, and see how the truck does with a rear locker.
A front locker or limited slip is neither cheap nor easy to install. A rear locker is very easy to install.
Ive had my truck with no lockers, then one locker (rear), then two lockers. I'll bet you could do 90% of what you want to drive through, with a rear locker only. If not more.
Couple questions for you. Why do you want a locker? And, what is the current build level of your truck? Lift, tire size, etc.

Stock right now. I'm guessing getting a lift would be a higher priority than a locker?

All depends on what you want to do, or actually, where you want to go. What is the reason you want a locker?

Mostly because of the better applied traction. I'm going to be travelling on snowy roads, and also want to try more difficult off roading

I've always heard that a locker is not good on snowy roads, but have no experience with that.
I would suggest a good limited slip, either Auburn or Torsen. I had an Auburn for years, along with a Ford LS in the front, and wheeled all the time with a group where most others had two lockers, and everyone just assumed I had lockers because I could keep up.
The difference between those two brands and a factory LS is huge, so don't think that putting in a basic LS will be worth the money it costs to buy and install.

For what you describe, a quality rear LS and some good all terrain tires should do you well. You can build from there in the future if you want, but anything beyond those two will open to another level of money and difficulty.

A front locker, or limited slip in the front on snow would be a terrible idea. Get good fresh all seasons, or snow tires, and slow down a little, and you’ll be fine.

For snow you definitely do NOT want a front locker, with the front end locked and on ice/snow you will not be able to turn
You want a SELECT-ABLE locker in the front axle, one like the ARB that you can lock and unlock with a switch.

Back