Differences between SOHC and OHV Alternators? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between SOHC and OHV Alternators?

taylorpro

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys. I just got a 99 sploder with the 4.0 SOHC engine. The alternator on it is very weak at best and will be replaced soon with a very high output unit. I've been looking around at companies such as DC Power Inc., Mechman, etc and have noticed alot of the alternator support is for the OHV 4.0 rather than the SOHC. Yet, when i look at pictures of the alternators for either engine, they look nearly identical other than different wiring/charge stud placement. Can anyone clue me in if there are actual difference between the two alts??? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am by no means an expert, bit I did have to replace the alternator on my 2000 OHV last month and the kind folks at Autozone sold me the wrong one. I saw them look up 2000 FORD EXPLORER in their computer, so I assume that the one they gave my was for the other engine. It appeared that it would bolt in just fine (I caught myself before actually bolting), but the electrical connections didn't fit, so off I went to get the correct one!

yeah the plug on the SOHC is on the bottom and the charge stud is on the top, while the opposite is true of the OHV. the plug is different im sure but the wires themselves serve the same purpose to my knowledge. so I'm not sure why you couldnt make one work on the other.

Because when you will sell the truck, some other poor guy will be baffled by the hack-job you did :D

Because when you will sell the truck, some other poor guy will be baffled by the hack-job you did :D

lol hack job wouldn't be the term i'd use. studying electrical engineering so it'd be done right and would be revertible back to stock. i was more or less curious if the different plug and wiring layout was the only difference. will it still bolt up and all that jazz?

Back