dip stick handle broke, dipstick stuck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dip stick handle broke, dipstick stuck

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
so my buddy was workin on my truck a few days ago, and his clumpsy butt used my oil dipstick handle to brace himself and managed to break the handle. now the whole dipstick is stuck inside the tube. how do i go about taking it out? while trying to take it out, we unfortunately managed to push it even farther down the tube. is the bottom of the dipstick going to affect anything in the motor? can i just take the oil pan off and just pull it back through?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i believe you can take the dipstick off from the oil pan....hmmm i would say try to cut around the dipstick tube but i dont know look and see if a autoparts store has a really strong magnet or something?

i tried the magnet thing, ehh no go. i even tried super gluing a rod to the dipstick, no worky either.

its probalbly on there i wonder if you did cut it off if you would be able to replace the tube itsself.

i have a idea i dont know if it will work or what you think.....but take a cutting wheel like a air one to the tube a little under where the broke off piece is. cut around the stick and becareful not to cut the dipstick its self and maybe pull out with needle nose pliars....orrrr.....try to cut around the opening of the tube with wire cutters and try to pull the metal away around the stick and pull with needle nose.....just what i would try.

i would rather not want to cut the tube. :(

true but if you do cut the tube see if you can get a replacement or just measure how much needs to be cut off...probably wont have to be much. just like half inch or 3/4 then if you can get the stick out replace it and cut how ever much off the new stick and go from there......

i guess.... im thinking about just taking the oil pan off first.

yeah much easier then if worse comes to worse..dun dun dun....cutting wheel. dont forget the gasket lol.

take the pan off and push the dipstick out from the bottom.

by the way, that dipstick if pushed farther in, isnt going to be touching the crankshaft or anything will it?

my best guess would be no. i think it just goes straight into the oil pan. so it may be touching the bottom of it. could be wrong tho. i hopenot.

yeh having the bottom of the dipstick hitting something like the crankshaft was my biggest concern. ehhh having no handle to pull up the dipstick wasnt too bad, i mean, i change my oil constantly and know exactly how much to put in. i mean, seriously, who uses that dip stick? :)

lol i rarely use it because i burn no oil....if no one on here give you a answer on the dipstick hitting on somethig ill ask my mechanic tomorrow mornign if i can get a hold of him.

sweet thanks man

yep any thing to help someone out... oh and how much for your mountaineer

haha i was selling it, but i just recently put too many parts on it to get enough back. and shes way tooo sexy to sell.

haha sweet. well shoot send me some pictures. i need more ideas for my explorer.

123897893_l.png

295305256_l.png

i dont have any real updated pictures yet. the back fenders are primer black now, no interior and bigger tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah it looks nice i would not mind having it lol.

Back