dip stick handle broke, dipstick stuck | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dip stick handle broke, dipstick stuck

thanks. yeh once i get her finished a little more, i'll take more pics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet.

Is the dipstick tube bolted down some how? If so just unbolt it remove the whole dipstick tube and get used one from a junk yard. I know on the early 90's Explorers this will work.

Is the dipstick tube bolted down some how? If so just unbolt it remove the whole dipstick tube and get used one from a junk yard. I know on the early 90's Explorers this will work.

Yeah. One of the header bolts is the only thing holding the tube in. Remove said bolt and pull up on the tube and it pops right out. :salute:

Blamo there is your answer, the tube pulls out from the block

ALOT easier then messing with the oil pan or cutting anything

All you need to do is unbolt the tube, pull it out, remove the dipstick and replace the dipstick with a new one

i see i see.

clam the tube with vise grips to prevent the dip stick from moving, then drill a little hole but not all the way through, then take a screw and screw it all the in, then take the vise grips and and try to get the bent out that will be the becasue of claming it, then pull the tube out..

It might work

2.5 hours after the easy fix is posted you want him to drill the tube. Sounds like a good idea! Metal shavings in there would be sweet!!

I said not all the way through!!

Their should still be enough plastic to get a small screw in

one bolt on the #7 exhast tube flange, and the tube pulss right out--wiglle it like a loose tooth as you pull upward--

You might find a new dipstick at the junk yard--just look for one that is the same length or longer. trim it off and make a new mark--

hey you guys the v6 is a bit different, Jt he doesnt have a #7 :)

Same idea though, the V6 dipstick bolt is WAY easier to access then our V8 bolt.
After the retaining bolt the dipstick simply pulls out of the block. If the O ring sucks replace it, I like to clean up the block around the tube before re-installing and a rubber mallet sometimes helps get it fully seated back in the block after removal.

They are so awesome just as equally awesome as their twin Explorer sister :)
I have a bit of both built into mine, funny the parts just bolt right on! hehehe

dang sorry I thought the other guy with the 98 had the dipstick issues....my eyes are a bit glazed over today

dang sorry I thought the other guy with the 98 had the dipstick issues....my eyes are a bit glazed over today

:smoke:
sectionfinger.gif

Once I cleared the tears out of my eyes seeing as how Clark Kent broke his dipstick......

The advice here has been good. And no it will not hurt anything.... and yes you COULD drop the pan and remove it....

(still chuckling to self....)

ps. I hear there is an aftermarket kryptonite handle

I've tried the pilot hole and screw method to no avail. The plastic that was brittle enough to break off the base of the handle just breaks more when pulled up on. My last resort is to pull the dipstick tube out, but I can't figure out how to get a socket or wrench on the header stud that holds it on.

The Chilton's manual simply says for the 5.0L, "remove the oil level indicator nut and tube." Uh... The steering column is keeping me from getting a straight shot on it, and no combination of universal attachments, wobble extensions, or offset wrenches is reaching it from above, the side, or below. The up-swept manifold runner is really in the way. Any tips would be appreciated.

Yeah. One of the header bolts is the only thing holding the tube in. Remove said bolt and pull up on the tube and it pops right out.

one bolt on the #7 exhast tube flange, and the tube pulss right out--wiglle it like a loose tooth as you pull upward--

Same idea though, the V6 dipstick bolt is WAY easier to access then our V8 bolt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can get them through the side. I was able to get to all of them when replacing the manifold bolts. It took a lot of different socket/extension/wobble extensions to do it, but I managed.
Have you tried a set of super thin long reach needle nose plier, or hemostats from harbor freight?

Back