dip stick handle broke, dipstick stuck | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

dip stick handle broke, dipstick stuck

You can get them through the side. I was able to get to all of them when replacing the manifold bolts. It took a lot of different socket/extension/wobble extensions to do it, but I managed.

You must have a lot of patience. :)

I finally found an angle I can get a box end on it from below, but then I don't have enough leverage to do anything.

I'm thinking the easiest might be to unbolt the steering shaft up by the firewall. Will that allow it to drop out of the way? I'm looking that up now...

Have you tried a set of super thin long reach needle nose plier, or hemostats from harbor freight?

To pull the dipstick out of the tube? That's a no go, as mine, like many others with the same problem, broke off at the base of the handle so the plastic remnants fill out the tube. There's no room around it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got it! I went through the wheel well, pulling down the rubbery flap that clips to the liner. That gave me a reasonable line of sight below the steering shaft to the nut, but I still couldn't get a socket on it cleanly with wobble extensions hitting the shaft. What I finally figured out is, I could reach back and place a socket in by hand, then jam the wobble extension into it.

The dipstick tube pulls out easily with the nut loosened. The dipstick is finally free! As soon as my new dipstick arrives, I can cross that cursed project off the list.

Of course, getting the dipstick tube back in the block is every bit as difficult, without being able to see the spot you're aiming for.

Good job!

After an hour and a half of trying to get the dipstick tube lined up with the blind hole that I think I can feel behind the exhaust collector, I'm about ready to torch this thing.

It took 3.5 hrs, but I finally got the dipstick tube in place. That might be the most tedious thing I've ever done.

My best advice for anyone else doing this is, the hole is almost directly below, but slightly behind, the #7 spark plug. It's also right below one of the freeze plugs. It's at the bottom of the block, just above the oil pan. You won't be able to see or feel it (the hole I thought I felt behind the collector was actually an allen head plug), but the tube will eventually feel solid if you locate it.

Back