• Register Today It's free!

Dipstick (fill) Tube

ErickSaint

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Recently we have had a real cold snap it is -9 today with a -25 wind chill. I have noticed that there is a strange problem recently. When the engine is still cold it seems to be slipping. From a stop I step on the gas and it will sometimes rev to about 1500 then slam into gear. Other times it works fine. The other thing I have noticed is that from a stop I give it gas and it never seems to get above 1000 pretty much just sits right on the line. If I goose the gas sometimes it will thump into gear other times it will not, just stays at the same rpm. All problems will go away after I have done enough driving to get everything warmed up a bit.

Today as cold as it it I went to check the trans fluid and the whole fill tube came out of the tranny. I tried looking through old posts to see where it hooks back up but haven't really found any pics of that side of the case. I'm only trying to find a pic cuz it's damn cold and I have no garage to work in. If it's something I need a jack to do I have to do it on the cold road in front of my house.

Could the tube being loose cause a loss of fluid which may be my problem?

Forgot to add, 94 4.0 A4LD

It goes into a hole in the front corner of the tranny on the passenger side.... just behind where the bellhousing and tranny meet...and yes it very likely could be a cause of your fluid loss.

There is an aftermarket part to help this problem if, after putting it back in it still leaks. let me know.

OK I was able to get it in with the use of a flashlight. Looks Like the tube has a mounting tab on it that was supposed to be bolted the the bell housing but it isn't bolted just floating in the hole on the case. I have it warming up now to see where the fluid level is. When I tried to check it earlier is when the tube came out on me.

When I bought the truck I was told that there was an engine and tranny swap done. Engine first then about 4k miles later the tranny was replaced. No mention of a rebuild, so I'm guessing it was a boneyard tranny. Hope it's just low and not going bad already, I've only had the car since late September.

Seems it was just a bit low. Topped it off to where it should be and all seems well for now, but I have only driven it about 10 miles or so. The leaking could be a problem in the future because the tube is just kinda sitting in the case. I'll have to wait until it warms up to properly bolt the tube into place.

Back