Dirt roads... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dirt roads...

Well, mine wasn't really a biggy, just something stupid.

There's a bunch of dirt roads in Moose Jaw, leading out to a grain elevator and winding between our ball diamonds. I was driving with a couple of friends one night (my front hubs are automatic hubs, and they were busted at the time, so I was in 2wd) and took the dirt road out to the grain elevator. there's a right turn on the loose gravel road, and I took it going about 50 kph. I fishtailed a bit, but no biggy. I kept going, getting up to about 100 kph, then got to a railway crossing by the elevator. The train crossing was going insanely slow, and I couldn't see either end, so I floored it and turned around right there. I cruised back down the road, getting up to 100 kph, then I did something stupid: I waited until the last minute to start slowing for the turn, but I wasn't stupid enough to floor the brakes into the turn. I made the turn, and did a complete 180 in the process... then a 90... then a 60... then I hit the ditch... than I stopped. I was laughing my butt off, one of my friends had her knees up to her chest, and the other was sitting still as a rock. I put it in park and got out to see if anything was wrecked. My back right tire was down to 20 psi (supposed to be 35), but I think that was already like that. Then I looked around behind the vehicle and figured out that miracles do happen. My rear bumper was about an eighth of an inch from a telephone pole, and when I looked under the truck to give a quick but pointless once-over, I saw a very large, pointy rock about an inch from hitting the rear differential.

So yeah, that's my stupid "Whoops" story.

PS: Don't tell my dad. The insurance is in his name.

Back