Icy roads into Pole | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Icy roads into Pole

OK, so I knew the roads would be bad and I wanted to get out of school early to beat the weather before it got worse. I talked to my mom and she said to call her when I get home. I am thinking to myself a few minutes before about how badly it would suck if I crashed. Up the road, I saw that someone had slid off the road into a field. I make my turn and head down the road. I notice this road hasn't been plowed recently so it is covered with snow and ice.

I am driving down this road and while I am in 4x4, I start to drift to the right. I turn the wheel slightly to the left and my trucks follows. It goes to far to the left and goes sideways. As I slide down the road, I hit the brakes. My front goes forward and takes out 2 mail boxes and my front end slams into a telephone pole. I do a 360 and come to a stop at the T intersection into a neighbor hood. The lady that saw the whole thing stops and helps me push it over to the curb.

I call my mom, my brother drives down to help, and my mom called the cops. They showed up and were cool about it. Telephone pole was fine so I wouldn't have to replace that. I was able to drive it home but no sharp left turns could be made. Luckily I was just 3 right turns from my house.

The bad thing about this is I just had to replace my front right tire, rim, clutch, slave and master cylinder. I am so happy that I didn't mess up my steering since I just fixed it a week ago.

2h6h75d.jpg

ml5n4n.jpg

20qn7ye.jpg

211kmsx.jpg

2nbzx3r.jpg

2h6hvyg.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch, looks like it hurt! Glad you were okay. Ice is tricky icky!

That really sucks. I recently totaled my nissan 240sx when it slid on ice. Good luck with the repairs.

Yea, I am taking it to the shop to get a damage estimate. My main concern is if the frame is bent. Seeing how the entire front end shifted left, I fear that it did.

ouch

OUCHIES! Glad you are ok though!!! Ice is what is the scary thing in winter driving...and a lot of people (and I am not saying you were one of them!) don't realize just how dangerous it is. I know, been driving in it for 4 days now...watching idiots and praying they don't hit me. Give me lots of snow...and keep the ice away! Hope the repairs turn out not to include frame problems!

I suspect it's gonna cost way more than it's worth to fix it just in sheet metal alone... one, or maybe both fenders, hood, radiator core support, bumper trim, lights... From a strictly cost standpoint, it's probably a goner.

Now, that's not to say it couldn't easily be repaired... Assuming it was a side-hit, it smashed mostly sheet metal... It *may* have tweaked the frame horns sideways a hair, but that's easily straightened. You might be able to find a front clip in a salvage yard and bolt all the pieces back on. Heck, find one the right color, and you wouldn't even need to paint it!

Either way, good luck!

I stopped at a shop who get their parts from their salvage yard. They said the fenders would be a different color than the hood and the car. The hood would be a different color as well. Total cost for straightening out the front and a new front would be $1,400.

well 1400.00 isn't bad were else are you going to find a dependable truck for 1400.00 that you know and trust?

You're definitely going to have to take off the fenders, bumper, and hood to see what kind of damage there is underneath. If the engine cage is bent at all that will have to be fixed.
Here's an example from mine:
33vkc5e.jpg

This is just my opinion though, but it doesn't look like it went that "deep". Looks like a lot of cosmetic damage, I think your engine cage should be fine, the radiator support MIGHT be bit bent, but you won't be able to tell until you remove everything.

I would start calling junk yards asking how much they'll charge for:
-Passenger and Driver side fenders
-Hood
-Go ahead and get both headlamp/turnsignal assemblies
-Grill
-Bumper

If you can get to a pullapart, do it. I bought my entire front clip that included everything I wrote above except for the bumper, which i got 6 months later, for less then 200 bucks before taxes. Did the work myself and everything.

Thanks man, I talked to a few already and I am planning on getting a few parts today. I think my hood is still usable but I need 2 new fenders and possibly a rad support.

Oh, another thing to, you'll probably need new hood hinges. But they're super easy to remove and replace. From what your hood looks like, you might be able to save it, but DEFINITELY replace the hinges.

OK, I went to the junk yard and bought what I could. That being 2 fenders and the filler piece that goes between the bumper and grille. I removed the hood and I do plan so save it. No way I can bend the dent in the side out because of the whats on the other side of the hood. I got almost all of the bolts removed except for the ones I can't seem to get to.

The bolts I'm talking about are the 2 in the front connecting to the filler piece and the one in the back by the door. Since the left fender is pushed back, I cannot open my door all of the way. The other side is pulled out a bit but it isn't straight so I cannot get to it either. The ones in the front, I have no idea how to get to. The other side, it's a mangled mess. Any ideas from the pictures I have provided?

vzimh4.jpg

111040y.jpg

The one screw I am talking about is here...
1xxj5t.jpg

2wp0xh1.jpg

This is the mangled mess...
2d9pm41.jpg

2dukvvr.jpg

Back