Disable ABS? 2010 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disable ABS? 2010 4.0L

Cameron58

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Exp Eddie Bauer 4.0l
My ABS is way too sensitive and seems to do more harm than good on the icy roads around here in the north. If I pump the brakes, I stop just fine.
I don't want to unplug the sensor and leave the harness orifices open to the salt and debris.

Can I disable the ABS via a fuse etc?

Will disabling it also disable my traction control? Will it cause issues with anything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you could disable it by pulling the fuse. I dont know the number but its in the owners manual. If you disable it you will lose abs, rsc (roll stability control), traction control, and possibly auto 4wd if you have it (you will also have the dash lights permanently on).

Yes you could disable it by pulling the fuse. I dont know the number but its in the owners manual. If you disable it you will lose abs, rsc (roll stability control), traction control, and possibly auto 4wd if you have it (you will also have the dash lights permanently on).
well that sucks. Maybe I will have to unplug the sensors then.

Zip tie plastic around the ends to help protect them from the weather.

well that sucks. Maybe I will have to unplug the sensors then.
unplugging the sensors will do the same thing as removing the fuse you will still get the lights and warnings. All of these systems use the wheel speed sensors as an input so its a lose lose situation. if you really don't like the abs then pull the fuse and learn to ignore the lights.

Don't take this next explanation as a fact I may be wrong on some points. Here is the problem the abs module does more than just the antilock brakes it can control each individual brake one at a time. traction control for example the differentials in the 4th gens are open style if one wheel starts slipping the opposite wheel will spin twice as fast. in turn the vehicle will detect one wheel is spinning faster and apply the brake on that wheel to slow it and keep traction on the slipping wheel this would be from a dead stop (I could be wrong on this). RSC I believe uses similar methods except uses an additional roll sensor. auto 4x4 needs to know when the wheels are slipping to know when engage.

Back