• Register Today It's free!

Disabling airbag system

duke16

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0L AWD XLT
My airbag is blinking a 2-3 (Memory Clear Circuit Improperly Grounded), but I've checked as much of the wires that I can and see no problem. What is the best way to disable the airbags?

Also, is the airbag system separate from the OBD-II system? i.e. if the airbag light is blinking, does that get reported when you do a diagnostic through the OBD-II system or do you have to diagnose the airbag separately?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the wiring at the module? Be careful when working on the SRS module with the power on. The air bag could deply! I would suggest that you disconnect the battery, wait a minute, unplug the SRS module, then reconnect the battery. Check the ground wiring on the plug of the SRS module.

The wiring at the module seems fine.

Could be. Either way, simplest thing for me to do is disable it.

Which is the safest method? Or does it not matter?

Dicconnect the battery, and wait a minute before disconnecting the air bag module. Once you have done this, reconnect the battery, and test everything from the air bag module's connecting harness. After you finish troubleshooting, disconnect the battery again, reconnect the air bag module, and the battery in this order.

..k, well I'm just going to unplug it at the module. Does anyone know if this will still allow the vehicle to pass a safety inspection? I'm not planning on telling them, but here in NC, inspection stations check the OBD-II system. Will an error be reported by that if the airbag system is unplugged?

the only thing the SRS system and the OBDII system have in common is the data link conector ( the plug )

I unplugged the two sets of cables at the module, but the warning light is still illuminated. Is there anywhere to turn it off without removing the dash?

no

Where is the module located on a 2000 mountaineer? I want to disconnect my airbags so they don’t go off while I’m off-roading. I know my old 04 Tacoma had the module on the floor under the dash in the center and it was possible to have the air bags go off just by going over a speed bump just right.

Where is the module located on a 2000 mountaineer? I want to disconnect my airbags so they don’t go off while I’m off-roading. I know my old 04 Tacoma had the module on the floor under the dash in the center and it was possible to have the air bags go off just by going over a speed bump just right.
Honestly dude don't worry about it. I've got into two accidents with my 2000 explorer both frontal airbags did not deploy. Airbags are very temperamental. They really haven't changed any either as I had my 2011 yukon xl get bashed into the didn't deploy.

Honestly dude don't worry about it. I've got into two accidents with my 2000 explorer both frontal airbags did not deploy. Airbags are very temperamental. They really haven't changed any either as I had my 2011 yukon xl get bashed into the didn't deploy.
I’d rather have peace of mind with them disabled. Last thing I need is an airbag to go off when I’m off-roading in rocks

Unplug the yellow sensor underneath the driver and passenger seat
This will disable the airbags
The airbag light will come on

Airbag light won’t bother me. So just unplug it from under the seats and that disables them?

@VWbaja10 Unplugging the yellow connector under driver's & front passenger's seats does disable the respective air bags. I've done this on both of my Ex's.

For peace of mind, I've also unplugged the connector inside the steering wheel and the connector above the glove compartment. I believe the connector inside the steering wheel is yellow and the connector above the glove compartment is gray. You will want to unplug the battery and discharge the wires (turning on the headlamp switch will do) in order to remove these two connectors.

Removing one connector on each side will sufficiently disable the system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@VWbaja10 Unplugging the yellow connector under driver's & front passenger's seats does disable the respective air bags. I've done this on both of my Ex's.

For peace of mind, I've also unplugged the connector inside the steering wheel and the connector above the glove compartment. I believe the connector inside the steering wheel is yellow and the connector above the glove compartment is gray. You will want to unplug the battery and discharge the wires (turning on the headlamp switch will do) in order to remove these two connectors.

Removing one connector on each side will sufficiently disable the system.
Thanks, I’ll do the ones under the seats and check out the others. It’s just for peace of mind while off-roading. I do a lot of mix stuff and the front end does bottom out from time to time and last night we were playing in rocks.

Back