Disabling the ABS and that dang light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disabling the ABS and that dang light

5.0L96Exp

Reaction score
City, State
Ottawa, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
For all of you that have a 1996 5.0L X and want to disable the ABS light (because it is stuck on due to some fault/crappy sensor) the easiest way to do so is to cut the dark green wire (pin 18) on the 4WABS control module (left rear corner of engine compartment). Pulling interior Fuse 11 (7.5A) wont work since the dimmer, radio etc require power. The neat thing with this is that if you still have your ABS enabled the light will still light up when the ABS is activated. If you don’t ever want the light to light than you can cut the wire as above and remove the ABS diode. This should work for most 2nd gen X's but the wire colors and pins may be different so please check.

As for disabling the ABS altogether it looks like the easiest method is to simply pull the 4WABS Pump Relay + cut green wire/pull abs diode. Or Pull engine compartment Fuse 10 (30A) + cut green wire/pull abs diode.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmmmm.....interesting info., thanks for sharing......Think I would rather identify the faulty sensor or unit and fix accordingly for safety purposes.

CougarX said:
If the light is on it's shut off anyway. Cover it with black tape or remove the bulb from the instrument panel :D

Personally I think cutting a wire is a hell of a lot easier and faster than trying to take the dash apart to get to the bulb. Just my 2 cents. Black tape = ugly

I think I'd just fix it? The abs computer stores codes just like anything else and should be able to tell you the fault.

I’m sorry I don’t really want to get into a big long argument over why we should/shouldn’t disable the ABS. But anyone who lives in Canada will probably tell you that the Ford ABS doesn’t help you much when there’s snow/ice on the roads. ie it activates all the time and instead of helping you stop you end up sliding through stop signs. Yes ABS has its time and its place and no I cant beat the laws of physics. But in the winter time when apply the brakes I depend on the "skidding" to act like a snow plow allowing the tire to dig down to pavement. With the ABS your tires never have a chance to do this.

5.0L96Exp said:
I’m sorry I don’t really want to get into a big long argument over why we should/shouldn’t disable the ABS. But anyone who lives in Canada will probably tell you that the Ford ABS doesn’t help you much when there’s snow/ice on the roads. ie it activates all the time and instead of helping you stop you end up sliding through stop signs. Yes ABS has its time and its place and no I cant beat the laws of physics. But in the winter time when apply the brakes I depend on the "skidding" to act like a snow plow allowing the tire to dig down to pavement. With the ABS your tires never have a chance to do this.

Nothing wrong with a friendly discussion; we all might learn a little more. Just remember, the automakers develop safety items based on risk stratification, liabilities, survival rate data, etc. Beware of a future accident incident where the vehicle is investigated and found to have disabled safety/mechanical functioning. Then, try to defend yourself in a legal situation.

performancenut said:
Beware of a future accident incident where the vehicle is investigated and found to have disabled safety/mechanical functioning. Then, try to defend yourself in a legal situation.

Good point! :thumbsup:

-Drew

Here is a good point ABS is for Soccer Moms that cant drive! 96x thanks man I need to disconnect mine, ABS+Desert=No Bueno! Oh yeah I live in snowy conditions and ABS will kill your ass in the snow or ice.

A quality ABS should slow a vehicle quicker than any person. The quality or effectiveness of the ABS may be a valid argument. I understand the digging into snow idea, that is interesting, and ABS testing likely never considered that.

BTW, don't cut wires, do not ever cut wires. You never need to cut wires to open a circuit, spend the two minutes it might take to remove the wire from a connector. Regards,

CDW6212R said:
BTW, don't cut wires, do not ever cut wires. You never need to cut wires to open a circuit, spend the two minutes it might take to remove the wire from a connector. Regards,

Cutting perfectly good wires is fun. Plus some might argue that it is a lot easier to explain a cut/sheared/broken/damaged/defective wire to an insurance company than a wire that has been cleanly removed from a connector and taped up (but that’s not the point). Soldering irons are also a great tool. Besides it was -25 C (-77 F for you southerners) today. Happy cutting :D

Back