help with turning off the ABS and check gage lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

help with turning off the ABS and check gage lights

r6bikerdave

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer 4.6 Limited
My brohter has a 1998 explorer that we have done a SAS on, and we are wanting to get rid of the ABS light. his oil pressure Gauge has never worked, so the "check gage" light has always been on. Anyone know how to disable either of these lights??

FYI he has an aftermarket oil pressure gauge :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you used a front axle with ABS sensors in the hubs that ABS light isn't going out. The ABS unit is looking for signals from the front sensors. Where does his after market oil pressure gauge get it's signal from. Maybe he is using the stock sensor, hence the check gauge light.

Not really what I was asking, sorry if I was unclear. I know why the lights are on, but we are looking for a way to disable them. Basically we need to know if there is a wire we can cut to turn those lights off.

Not really what I was asking, sorry if I was unclear. I know why the lights are on, but we are looking for a way to disable them. Basically we need to know if there is a wire we can cut to turn those lights off.

My sport was throwing a abs light and my solution in stead of replacing those expensive sensors on the front tires was to simply pull the abs light bulb. You have to pull the guages clusters to get to it but atleast it is easily reversible if you change your mind in the future.

Hey r6bikerdave,

Sorry about that didn't mean to be so simplistic. I guess I kind of took you literally. There might be a way to do that if you're fairly good with wiring. If you look at this diagram you should be able to pull the signal from the rear sensor and send it to both left and right front sensor signal wires.

ABS.gif

I've done it with the speed sensor in the transfer case so in theory it should work. All of the necessary wires can be found right at the ABS module under the hood. Any questions let me know. I just saw something else. If you don't care about the ABS light then you can just cut the dark green wire on pin #16 of the ABS connector harness. That is the failure warning light output.

ABSConn.gif

HI,

I came here looking for the ABS connector wiring because I have a problem with the VSS reading on a 98 Explorer 4x4. My connector doesn't have pin #19. Are the other ABS connector layouts?

Mine doesn't either but I believe my 98 is like the Ranger and the GRY/BK wire in pin 10 I think is the VSS signal.

Back