Disconnecting 4WD

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
I was wondering if there was anyway to disconnect the automatic 4wd on my X. I know about the brown wire mod but my truck only goes into 4wd when the rear tires slip.

I aks because I am going to the dyno this weekend and they can only two 2wd trucks. I burned out a transfer case motor a couple of years back and the Ford dealer gave me the option of not replacing it and just having 2wd. I am thinkg if I disconnect the wiring harness to the transfer case that will do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take out the front driveshaft?

Thanks, Will do.....

Bad idea. VERY bad idea. You can do it, but in all likelihood, you will still burn up the transfer case clutches. The t-case is not designed to withstand extended and MASSIVE speed differentials between the front and rear driveshafts. Your best bet would be to remove the front driveshaft. That will allow the front output shaft on the transfer case to turn freely, and will not force the clutch pack in the transfer case to slip excessively. The system won't know that the front wheels aren't turning, so it won't do any damage. It'll simply engage the clutch like normal.

Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT run it on a 2wd dyno with the brown wire mod or transfer case unplugged alone. You will likely damage if not destroy your t-case. Driveshaft removal is your second-best option. (the best option is to run it on a 4-wheel dyno, but they're rare and pricey)

-Joe

i second gijoecams comment. Since the transfewre cases rely on the clutuchjes to work and all.

That and cold day in hell some one will let you on a 2WD dyno with only a brown wire mod.

i could anly begin to fathum the results of that.

[QUOTE='97 V8]i could anly begin to fathum the results of that.[/QUOTE]

There are people on this board that have tried it. Eventually, the clutches heat up and stop slipping, which causes the front wheels to start turning. That's never a good thing when the front wheels start turning when it's strapped down to the dyno.

IIRC, it seemed to happen at around 80 mph. Can't remember who it was though....

-Joe

since we are on the subject.

I want to dyno my Ex. it has the auto/4, high 4, low 4
I put it on a 4 wheel dyno in auto/4 BWM in the normal position or in the off position ?
Or 4 high ?

4 high. It'll eliminate any clunking engagement of the front half of the drivetrain. Odds are the dyno operator will tell you to lock it in as well.

-Joe

Back