How do I know if I had factory alarm/keyless entry? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How do I know if I had factory alarm/keyless entry?

stev0n

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt/90 s13/78 GoldWing
The name says it all. 94 xlt bought used from a dealership. But no remote came with it. How can i tell if mine came from the factory with alarm and/or keyless entry?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi there...

I believe it should be indicated on the door panel sticker by a code... If that's not available, you can run the vin by a dealer. (Please note that mine came with a factory alarm in 03... I didn't find out that's what it was until this year). The vin is our friend... :D

what would the code be?

I'll check mine real quick and see what it says... gimme a second.

Alright, you might just run the vin by the dealer/service dept, my door is so coded it can't be translated so easily.

The name says it all. 94 xlt bought used from a dealership. But no remote came with it. How can i tell if mine came from the factory with alarm and/or keyless entry?

Do you have a keypad on the driver's door?

no keypad, but i didnt think any of the first gens had the door keypad. my sister's 96 windstar has the keyless entry/alarm remote but not the keypad.

no keypad, but i didnt think any of the first gens had the door keypad. my sister's 96 windstar has the keyless entry/alarm remote but not the keypad.

Sorry, I am not familar with the first gens.

You don't have one. 1st gens normaly did not have one unless it was dealer installed when new, or some limited 1st gens had them from the factory. They are very rare. I had 3 94's, & have looked at tons of others & none had one.

If you did have 1, there should be a light somewhere in the dash that says anti theft.

alright... that answers my question. well, when i was rewiring my stereo, i found a little black box mounted to the side underneath the dash right above the parking brake. have no idea what it is, so i thought maybe it was the alarm system.

any idea what it could be? I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.

It could be an alarm brain from an aftermarket. But 1st gens have changed hands so many times, who know what previous owners have done to them. A pic would help.

funny story i was just at the gas station and checking fluids when my horn started blowing and headlights flashing i had no clue what to do so i ripped the horn wire out but i have a 94 with the anti theft light on the dash i just always thought that was fake to scare off people... just wondered how to use it or whatnot...

sorry jason lost my internet for a few weeks there..i'll get a pic up asap

My 94 Limited has a factory alarm in it, and two remotes. No keypad on the door. It doesn't have an "Anti theft" light on the dash, but it does work - it sounds the horn if you open the door from inside after it has been armed.

If it's not obvious the car has an alrm, the way we check at my shop for one is to get in the car, lock it how the alarm should 'arm' (with my mounty, i close the door and hit lock twice in a row, and it arms, most vehicles are like that, or with the door open lock it, then clsoe the door). Wait a few secs, I usually count to 20 or so, then open the door from the inside, if the horn and lights go off, it has an alarm(obviously) if it doesn't, no alarm. If you can't use the handle when it's locked (some vehicles do this so people can't stick something in and pull the door handle outward with a stick to get in) unlock it manually (pull up the lock, push it in or out, etc.) same thing, if horn and lights go off, alarm installed, if not, no alarm installed.

The keyless entry relay box is located at the rear next to the jack. I believe only Eddie Bauer and Limiteds have them. There is one box to control the 4x4, one for the keyless entry and one for the anti-theft.

I have to correct my previous message. I had a look, and my 94 Limited does in fact have a green "Anti-Theft" idiot light that flashes when it's arming. I guess I was too much of an idiot to notice it before. :)

Back